Full face mask VS. Normal Reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lukas

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm pretty new to diving and am kind of trying to figure out what equipment to get. I've been intrigued at the low price of the Neptune II full face mask with NIRA second stage. I tried it on in the store, and was impressed by how comfortable and pleasant it feels. Usually full face masks have always seemed way to expensive to consider, but this one is about in the same price class I've been considering for a normal regulator(500$). So I was wondering if any of you could give me a Pro/Con list between full face masks and normal regulators, etc. Any input is highly appreciated.

Given my choice between diving a FFM or a reg I would go with the reg. Most divers get by with a regulator unless they are using full underwater com, polluted water, etc.
For recreatioal diving I use a regulator. There are a lot of pros and cons with full face masks. I have used them all and still prefer diving with a regulator for most diving. As far as full face masks go the Neptune is not a mask I would ever dive. The reason the price is right on them is that you get what you pay for. It is a poorly designed mask and has inherent problems. Anyday I expect to see them sold on the Home Shopping Network. Get some experience before wasting your money on the Neptune. Check out other posts on the Neptune on this forum and read what others say about it. Get a FFM like the AGA if you feel you have an absolute need for the FFM. Chances are you don't need one but to each his own. Research the AGA or Kirby Morgan's, etc. Then the choice will be clear. But do your research and don't depend on a salesman's pitch in picking gear. Ebay is full of Neptunes dumped by folks who can't sell them or diver's trying to get some of their money back.

I'm curious why you'd want a full mask?

Given the problems with out of air situations alone, I don't see how they are a good idea for recreational diving. Then again, I dive in fairly chilly water, perhaps in the tropics pulling the entire thing off to get a different reg in your mouth ... well I personally still don't see how it's a good idea :)

Just my $0.02

I'd echo what James Croft said, he wrapped it up pretty nicely.

Most FFM divers I see do not carry a backup mask and are ill prepared for an OOA situation, freeflow situation etc.

If you dive an FFM get proper training and consider, train and equip yourself appropriately to deal with emergency situations in an FFM.

Personally I prefer the Kirby Morgan M-48 / JMC Supermask as it uses a detachable lower pod that allows you to keep the mask in place if you need to switch to an alternate air source, deco bottle, etc. It saves you the trouble of carrying a backup mask and makes switching back and forth much, much easier.

It's also a very good FFM and is exceptionally well suited to recreational and technical use - much more so than the AGA which is optimixed for commercial and PSD applications. The JMC Supermask (copy of the KM M-48 marketed through Oceanic and JMC Scuba) is also fairly affordable at abou $350.00 online with no regulator. The Supermask is readily adaptable to using your existing second stage, so no new dedicated second stage (with the additional expense and more complex annual servicing issues associated with a specialized second stage) is required.

I dive with an AGA Full Face Mask (http://www.oceantechnologysystems.com/interspirofullface.shtml) to alleviate jaw fatigue and prevent TMJ flare-up.

The regulator for the AGA mask is modular, and can be fitted with a mouthpiece, so you can have the choice to use it on the FFM or as a conventional 2nd stage reg.

Due to the wide field of view and intrinsic fog-free nature of the FFM, I prefer it over a normal reg.

If you do get one, I'd recommend looking for FFM training classes... they can help prepare you for some of the situations previous posters have been warning you about.

I suppose the cons outweigh the pros on this one. Does anyone know if the Poseidon Cyklon reg. is worth its money? It seems like an amazing regulator but i can't seem to find any reviews on it.

The only real con is the additional cost. If you can justify the cost or you make enough that it does not matter than go for it. Also if you have TMJ or some other medical condition than it may be even more of a reason to go with the FFM. You do get what you pay for though and the el-cheepo Neptune or Scuba Pro or the other no name ones out there are not worth the money. There are a few other reasonable setups (under $1000) that work great. I am looking into them as well. There are some things you should know about using them, but a quick class and you will be set. My local dive shop is offering a PADI FFM class for $60. It is a one day classroom and 2 dives.
:crafty:

what is TMJ? if someone doesn't mind

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom