air2 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wet feet

Registered
Reaction score
I am wanting to know if scubapro air2 is compatible with other bcd's. I do not have a big buget and am looking at possible getting a differnt brand bcd. Because I can not afford a scubapro bcd.

yes, it is.

cut the tiewrap holding it in place (or unscrew the screw if that's what yours has on it), and gently work the unit off the corregated rubber hose. (Use a pair of diagonal wire-cutter pliers to avoid screwing up the hose.)

Replace it back onto any other corregated rubber hose, then use another tie wrap to fasten it in place (or tighten the screw, etc.). If the hose is too short to allow use of the unit, get a longer hose...they're only a few bucks. They fasten to the elbow in much the same manner - check your BCD, some use screws, others use other fittings or tie wraps. It should be self evident.

Remember to use 2 wrenches to remove the fitting from your LP inflator hose and replace it on the new LP inflator hose (one holds the LP hose, the other applies torque to the fitting itself).

No worries.

Thanks for the info Doc Intrepid.

Most, but not all BC's use a 1 inch diameter corrugated hose as is found on SP BC's. I believe Oceanic, for one, uses a smaller diameter corrugated hose. So check before you buy.

Also, some of the problems sited with Air2s dealing with venting your BC while breathing from the Air2 are not really a problem with SP BC because they also have a right shoulder dump valve. That might be a feature you'll want to consider in selecting some other brand of BCD.

I have a Sherwood BCD and had a newer style AIR2 installed by my LDS at no additional cost. I love it! :D

awap:
Most, but not all BC's use a 1 inch diameter corrugated hose as is found on SP BC's. I believe Oceanic, for one, uses a smaller diameter corrugated hose. So check before you buy.

Also, some of the problems sited with Air2s dealing with venting your BC while breathing from the Air2 are not really a problem with SP BC because they also have a right shoulder dump valve. That might be a feature you'll want to consider in selecting some other brand of BCD.

Aeris also uses a smaller corrogated hose.

I agree with the right shoulder dump. They sure are convenient.
(I don't have one, sniffle... sniffle... wish I did)

--- bill

wet feet:
I am wanting to know if scubapro air2 is compatible with other bcd's. I do not have a big buget and am looking at possible getting a differnt brand bcd. Because I can not afford a scubapro bcd.
If you don't already have the Air2 and simply want an inflator integrated octo, be aware that the Air2 is not the only version on the market, you might also look at the Atomic SS1. But if you are on a budget (or even if you're not) you might just consider sticking with a regular octopus. It will be cheaper and some (probably most) people consider it a better choice. Getting rid of a hose sounds like a good idea to some people but there are other things to consider that may not be obvious at first. There are lots of threads on this board about the pros and cons of these.

bperrybap:
I agree with the right shoulder dump. They sure are convenient.
(I don't have one, sniffle... sniffle... wish I did)

--- bill

I've added a rear pull dump to an old SP Finseal BC. If you don't mind poking a hole in a perfectly good BCD, I'm sure you could add one to the right shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom