Primary connected to bottom of first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crispix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just bought my first regulator . . . Atomic Z2! Haven't had a chance to dive it yet.

The shop attached the primary hose to the bottom of the first stage, not coming out of the side like I'm used to. The guy said "a lot of people like it this way -- try it out and we can always move it if you don't like it."

I'm taking a closer look at it now, and it just seems weird. Why would anyone like it this way? Seems to me it will be harder to locate my hose if I need to reach behind my head to find it.

I have Scubapro Mark 20/25s and from what I can see the port configuration is pretty similar to the Z2. I route my primary out the bottom too. In my opinion, it gives a better, more streamlined routing. I cant the reg clockwise, so the gauge and inflator hose come down from the left side. Overall, results in more of a pine tree type look with hoses laying nicely versus hoses coming straight out the sides.

On a single it kind of forces you to run the reg at an angle, and so I switched mine back to the side port and thought it was cleaner. Now that I have it on my left post for my doubles backup reg, it's back to the bottom 'cause it points the first stage just right the way it should go.

YMMV

crispix:
Just bought my first regulator . . . Atomic Z2! Haven't had a chance to dive it yet.

The shop attached the primary hose to the bottom of the first stage, not coming out of the side like I'm used to. The guy said "a lot of people like it this way -- try it out and we can always move it if you don't like it."

I'm taking a closer look at it now, and it just seems weird. Why would anyone like it this way? Seems to me it will be harder to locate my hose if I need to reach behind my head to find it.

That would be the way you'd do it with a long hose. With a long hose you want it to run down along the length of the tank before looping around.

R..

I should have mentioned that: as Diver0001 says this is a configuration for a long primary hose. That's how mine are rigged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom