Now that was a tad unsettling ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last night at work, amidst the lightning and light rain, about 2am I heard it ... a baby crying out in the middle of a grassy field next to a cliff in Kapalua ... what's really odd, is that I was expecting to hear it and it still sent chills up my spine.

The one resort I keep an "eye" on at night "Kapalua Bay Villas" has a nesting area for Ua'u Kani birds http://www.hawaiiaudubon.com/gallery/birds/uaukani.html and I was told when I first started working there that at night they let out a cry identical to a baby crying like it's hungry or scared. Last night was the first time I'd heard it though - it is the eeriest sound I think I've ever heard, so familiar, yet so out of place. The sound is so close to a baby's cry that when they were building the resort the workers heard one crying in the field and the police ended up coming and a "man-hunt" took place for 4 hours searching for the lost baby in the grass ... turned out to be a bird.

One of the security guards that covers the Kapalua area told me that when they hear these birds they take it as a sign that they should go the other way ... I can easily understand why they feel that way after hearing one... but it won't stop me from covering that area :wink:

One of the other places where I work is filled with owls - I think I'd rather watch them soar across the roads than listen to this one "cry" in the darkness...

Just figured I'd share my "wierd" night with everyone.

G'night now to all ... I'm bushed zzzz

Tim

wow, that would drive me crazy.

Glad you told us about that.

Now...why were you out there Tim? I thought you were a youth minister.

Wow. That is eery. It's really good you knew about it ahead of time.

catherine96821:
wow, that would drive me crazy.

Glad you told us about that.

Now...why were you out there Tim? I thought you were a youth minister.

One of my part time jobs is working night security 3 nights each week - 2 nights are at this place, and 1 is at the "owl" place - they are incredible to watch (I'll see 20 or 30 of them each night)

Having a couple part time jobs is the "norm" on Maui ... but at least it keeps me outta trouble :wink:

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
The one resort I keep an "eye" on at night "Kapalua Bay Villas" has a nesting area for Ua'u Kani birds and I was told when I first started working there that at night they let out a cry identical to a baby crying like it's hungry or scared. Last night was the first time I'd heard it though - it is the eeriest sound I think I've ever heard, so familiar, yet so out of place.

Now, here I thought you were going to tell us some sort of paranormal or "chicken skin" experience. I'm glad to read that it was just some birds.

Those "chicken skin" stories kind of freak me out, especially since I've got a few of my own.

Ever hear a peacock scream? Sounds for all the world like a woman being murdered. Found that out one night after making a mad dash barefoot through a cow pasture with nothing but my tightie whities and a shotgun. The neigbhor that had just got them thought it was funny as heck to see me running through his yard ready to kill someone covered in cow poop.

and a happy halloween to you too tim.. very spooky indeed..

are you guarding that patch halloween night?

"beware the moors" o_0

jackolanterns.jpg

actually ... I might get halloween off - I have a friend that likes getting double time pay ... and I REALLy don't like working halloween ... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom