Question Raja Ampat itinerary planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
K

KateAus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi lovely divers around the world. It's finally happening, I am off to Raja Ampat via Lembeh leaving Friday, but I need your help! I have just over 2 weeks in Raja Ampat and I am feeling a little overwhelmed with the different Island choices. I plan to stay on the islands as I want to do some surface exploring as well snorkel photography on the reefs (over under shots etc) as opposed to a Liveaboard - I have also heard the latter can be terrible if you get bad weather given the design of the traditional ships - first hand knowledge from a friend who spent the whole trip sick.

For context, I am a solo female diver. Underwater and Land photographer.

I have settled on around 5 or 6 night on Kri and 2 or 3 nights on Arborek.

Do I stay a couple of nights on one of the Pam/Fam islands to catch the sunsets and really explore the area. Will I be safe?

I had planned on Gam to hike and see Bird of Paradise but I can't work out how to get around. It seems I will end up doing a tour anyway in which case should I just do this from Kri or Arborek? It feels like all 3 of these Islands are close to each other

Also on the list is Palau Birie Batanta. Highest chance of seeing Dugongs but no dive center. Hiking, waterfalls and good reefs for snorkeling but quite a distance away - has anyone stayed there?

I will probably spend a few nights at the end at Waisai as I am sure I will be missing AC and showers by then.

Any Islands on the must do? Thoughts on the above?

And to really throw a spanner in the works - despite my comments on the LOB, I have reached out to one which has dates that might fit in nicely, but I will still have over a week to explore

One of the main advantages of the liveaboard is that you can relax as the transfers and itinerary bits are all taken care of.

If you can't get on the liveaboard, and cost is not an issue, I would consider one of the resorts on Kri (Kri Eco Resort) and message them ahead of time to arrange some of the land based stuff you want to do. It shouldn't be a problem for them.

Even if you decide to go the homestay route, virtually all will do diving in Aborek and Fam for an extra cost. I'd be fine with day trips to those places, Kri or Aborek are a better home base in my opinion than Fam. Both feel very safe and you'll find plenty of other divers from all over the world.

I think you've kinda listed the "Must Do" , I just don't know if you'll struggle to fit EVERYTHING in in two weeks. Raja is still a bit undeveloped , so unless you're staying at a bigger resort, there's a lot of bartering with (non english speaking) boat captains, making groups with fellow divers, etc to get to do what you want to do.

I went to Raja4 last November & December. Two land-based resorts and one liveaboard. My dives were much better with the land-based resorts, but the liveaboard was lovely for other reasons.

Over-under shots while snorkeling will be great from Arborek. There's so much life under the jetty there. The village itself is not charming, but better than other villages for sure. Arborek is also close to the mantas.

I'm not sure how suitable remote parts of Raja4 are for self-exploration if you don't speak Indonesian. I can't recommend this.

Meridian Adventure Dive in Waisai is nice. No beach, but there's a pool and the food was good. High quality dive op also.

I had good dives with the Raja Ampat Dive Lodge on Mansuar.

I recommend minimizing your time in Sorong. The Swiss-Belhotel is the place to stay.

Feel free to DM me for specifics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom