Caribbean or Hawaii ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tuckster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Single male (47) planning a trip (mid Feb) Can't do Liveaboard unless it departs on Sunday..... leaning towards Coz but been there 3 times. Using FF miles so considering somewhere I've never been (Hawaii ??) Prefer no AI dive resort so I can mix & mingle with other divers but eat where I want. Looking mainly for larger life, Rays, Turtles, Sharks etc. "Average" diver with 50+ dives. Already done Curacao, Belize, GC.
Any & all suggestions appreciated.

:coffee:

Hawaii........ Maui or Kona would be good choices for you. The only problem with mid-Feb is that weather isn't the best from what I have been told (possibilities of swells). But you will be able to see whales that time of year, and the sharks and turtles.

Bahamas would give you a chance to do the shark feeds but other than that I don't think you can have great diving unless you do a liveaboard there.

Be aware that although you may have the opportunity to see some of the larger animals, diving in Hawaii is very different than diving in the Caribbean. It's apples and oranges. The Caribbean is like a lush, tropical rain forest and everywhere you look is covered in soft corals, sponges, sea fans, hard corals, and is teaming with marine life. In stark contrast, Hawaii is more like the desert. There aren't many soft corals, few sea sponges, and it's basically a hardscape growing on lava rock.

There's plenty of sea life, but sometimes you have to look for it. On our recent trip, we saw Manta Rays, Spotted Eagle Rays, sharks, turtles, and whales (on the surface), but frankly, the highlight of our trip was finding leaf scorpionfish, green lionfish, commerson's frogfish, many types of cleaner shrimp, mantis shrimp, and nudibranchs.

I'd say to anyone wanting to go somewhere "mainly looking for larger life" that there are better places to go than Hawaii.

From virginia I'd say go for the Caribean.

3-4hr flight vs 10-12hr flight.

Caribean also much cheaper while you are there, especially if you go for a dive-specific type resort. Bonaire or Caymans maybe.

An oft asked question, and you got the straight scoop above.

Do some math.

Hawaii: One of the Fifty United States, same currency, nice and safe, Bennigans, relatively cheap, parasols in your drinks, flowers at the airport...

But rarely a mention in the dive rags. True, they largely do not advertise, so that's why you don't see Hawaii mentioned- but why don't they advertise?

You do not got to Hawaii to dive. If ypu find yourself in Hawaii and have grown tired of the bounty of natures wonders, you might go diving once in an occasi0onal great while.

Take a morning off- Ski Mauna Kea first.

The Kona Aggressor is a Saturday boat.

Early on, I was told that if you're going to Hawaii, dive while you're there. There's cool stuff like lava tubes that you won't see in the Caribean.

If you want a dive vacation, go to the Caribean. More to see. More color in both fishes and coral.

I haven't been to Hawaii. Maybe someday.
I have been to the Bahamas. Love it!! I go back each year!!

Just returned form Kauai a week ago, and I will totally agree with DiveMaven in it's apples and oranges. The Carribean, IMO was much better diving than Hawii. Saying that don't get me wrong, I saw cool things in Kauai, turtle cleaning, sharks, heard whales (saw them from surface) but if I was to plan a vacation for diving I'd go with the Carribean again. I also didn't get the best Kauai diving either due to the season and good island rainfall.

I'd definitely go back to Hawii, try a different island and I'm sure I'd be happy with the diving. I like to see different things and dive different places but really enjoy just blowing bubbles (as long as it's not in the pool).

H2ODog says what a lot of folks say about diving in Hawaii...that they don't consider it a diving destination. My husband and I feel quite differently, and can't wait to return to Maui each year to dive, dive, dive.

We feel that diving in Hawaii simply requires a different mindset than other places in the world. The critters and beauty simply aren't always obvious in Hawaii, and it requires developing a certain "eye" to see everything since so much is hidden. On our last trip, we were so excited by all the small creatures we were seeing (and finding) that we couldn't wait to get back into the water, and now can't wait to get back to Maui.

We've decided that diving in Hawaii isn't for everyone, but if you're one of the lucky ones that can see it's beauty and grandeur, it's a place that you'll return to again and again.

However, if I lived on the East Coast and were looking for a "dive vacation", I'd go to the Caribbean.

Read BOTH of Dive Maven's posts carefully.

The Grand Canyon is awesome and inspiring, but it isn't the same as a rain forest. OTOH, you won't find many people saying "don't go to the Grand Canyon because it is blah and doesn't have any ferns".

Diving in Hawaii is awesome, but it doesn't have the soft stuff -- barrel sponges, sea fans, gorgonian, etc -- that you find in the Caribbean.

I love them both.

I never really understand why people talk so negatively about Hawaii diving. I enjoy it just as much if not more than the Caribbean. But it is different. Like the others have said, don't go expecting to see lush soft corals. But you will see plenty of animal life, like turtles, eels, rays, sharks, mantas, dolphins.

I think Hawaii diving doesn't get as much "press" as the Caribbean because the topside is so awesome that diving is a second thought.

You've already been to Coz, Grand Cayman, Curacao and Belize. My suggestion is try someplace different like Kona Hawaii. To give you an idea of what Hawaii diving is like, here is a video I made from a weeks worth of diving in Kona.

Right click and "save target as" to download.
Kona video

Back
Top Bottom