Keeping Warm in San Diego above and below the Surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, I have dove California in 7mm and hood and been just fine but with as cold as its been lately I am wondering if perhaps wearing a 1/2 mil skin under my 7mil would make a diference with warmth?

Also do you think those boat coats are good for keeping warm on the boat? They seem like a lot of monney and not sure they are worth it. What do you guys think?

Thanks

ScubaRy

P.S. - When I get back from Cali this time I'm going to get a Dry suit I think :D

I dive with a 7mm hooded vest and 7mm full.

Try Goodwill and look for an oversized, lined topcoat. MUCH cheaper.

.5 mm won't make much of a difference. You can try a hooded vest if you have one. If not, try a 3mm shorty either under or over your 7mm. I've found that this has kept me a little warmer in 68-72 degree water while on deco stops.

I've never thought those coats were worth the money. I strip off the top part of the wet suit and put an old army coat on with a wool cap. That is usually enough to keep me warm. Try Dr. Bill's suggestion.

Just get the dry suit. It's soooo worth it!

I doubt a .5mm skin would make any difference. I dive in CA a lot with a 7mm and when conditions dictate it I slap on my 3mm shortie underneath now, but my 7mm is pretty worn out.

Based on a dive report from yesterday the temp @ 70' in SD is 56F, pretty standard temp, no colder than usual.

Not sure if a boat coat is worth it or not, never used one on a dive boat. I would suggest as DrB said going to Goodwill or even the Burlington Coat Factory they're cheap. May even try sporting goods stores as swim teams, water polo teams, divers (the diving board/platform variety) use the same coats during meets (and they don't call them boat coats).

As for a dry suit, if your going to use it a lot and can fork out the initial investment go for it.

-Garrett

Hooded vest is a must!

If diving wet, you will need a (dry) coat to change into or the boat ride back will be one cold experience. On the DND2, you are looking at a 45 minute ride to and from the wrecks.

Have fun this weekend.

jcf

azcaddman:
Try Tru-West their arctic lined parka is $125 or so, not exactly cheap, but very nice, oversized to fit over wetsuit.
I just ordered one from them...supposed to ship to me on the 23rd. I think total with my name embroidered on it and shipping it was $144...I'll let you know if it's worth it!

Yes the dive coats are well worth it... they dry fast and are water friendly as compared with "regular" coats... make sure you order one size larger than you normal use so that when you do get a dry suit or something bulkier, you can still use the coat... a zipper that is double-ended is a good feature as is oversized pockets... make sure they are the full-length coats as well... something that goes down to about your knees... some of the ones that are advertised as "dive parkas" only come down slightly below the waist...

Bring a watch cap or decent cap, stretchy gloves are also good... keep your head and hands warm... plus the coat and you'd be surprised at how warm you can be...

DUI is located there. Stop in and visit.

I dived a 7 mil wetsuit once. For cold water I've been diving dry ever since!! :D

Back
Top Bottom