Gear Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el_tel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I got my PADI AOW early last year and have done 76 dives since. I've aquired most of my own kit during this time, but am about to take the big step of purchasing a BCD, regs and gauges to complete my gear (no more renting - hurrah!).
I left these items until last as I wanted to become a better/more experienced diver before splashing out on the big ticket items (there was never any question of whether I'd take to it - I became a scuba junkie about 30 seconds into my initial introductory dive).
I've scanned the boards more times than I remember, trying to find out what I should be looking for, but it seems that everyone has their own opinions as to the best models and manufacturers. Now I feel more confused than when I started!
So rather than ask 'which reg/bcd/spg shall I buy', I thought it would be better to ask experienced divers 'what characteristics should I be looking for'.
To give you some idea of the diving I do, take into account the following:

I'm a warm water diver (not quite ready for ice diving).
I dive using Nitrox when possible (so titanium regs are out?)
I take a camera down with me, and prefer photos without bubbles (and I don't have a rebreather cert).
I use a wetsuit, rather than a DS.
I don't have any particular budget (lucky me!), but don't want to throw money away on top-of-the-range kit that I don't need. I'm looking for the 'sweet spot'.
I aim to do around 50 dives per year
Just interested in recreational diving. No plans to go pro.

I've heard that BCDs with integrated weights are the norm these days, but have only used a BCD and weight belt in the past. Although I don't know why, I'm erring towards a BCD rather than BP/W setup. Maybe it's because I'd prefer to stick with what I'm familiar with.

I'll be going to LIDS on March 10/11, and aim to pick up these thing then. But I want to be educated beforehand. If necessary, I'll attend both days, taking notes the first day, checking my notes on the Net when I get home (I live in London), and return on the second day to make my purchases.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS - Any recommendations for good books about the above would also be appreciated.

Like you said everyone has a different opinion does your LDS not have a good inventory of rental gear? I would try them all out a buy the one you like there really is no right and wrong.

Any good enough BC that fits you right will serve you well. After that it's about creature comforts. Weight integration is quite common in BCs but many diver distribute their weight between BC and belt. This has advantages as a hedge against accidental loss and allows more flexibility in establishing trim.

You want to be able to dive the BC before buying it, even if it's only in a pool.

Being in the UK but a warm water diver means diving away from home. Stay with something wicked easy to get service on in remote locations. Sherwood & Scuba Pro come to mind. For recreational nitrox virtually any moder regulator set should have you covered but you can ask to be sure.

Between now and then devour theses gear forums and get tuned into what you are interested in.

Pete

Best advice. Get aback pack BC, not a jacket. No clutter on the front. Much more manuverable.

Back
Top Bottom