Baggage Requirement 2 vs 1 gear bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This probably is a cross post to my post in this http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=173254&page=3 thread but I am asking here just in case it gets over looked. Wasnt sure which would be the best place to post this question.

I need to buy a gear bag for cold water gear for my wife and I. I am considering buying that huge bag mentioned in that post above (EDGE 2006 for $85) but it is over the Airlines baggage requirements by 2 inches (62 inch restriction). Plus with a bag like that more than likely it will be over the 50 lb weight limit as well, unless the actual bag is lighter than the luggage bag I just used.

Total weight with my current luggage and 2 pairs of cold water gear came to 56 lbs. The luggage I had used was 60 inches but might weight a tad more than a gear bag. So it might be possible with a bigger bag (64 inches) to have it weighing close to 50 lbs.

If I go with two separate bags (TUSA BP 2 for $95 ea) the cost is of course a lot more than the EDGE 2006 bag but I have the guarantee that I will be under the weight and size restriction. With the EDGE bag I do not have that guarantee and could risk trying to get it through baggage check in.

EDGE 2006 Bag (or any other huge bag for a pair of divers)

PROS: Cost much less than buying two bags, lug around one vs two bags, keep all our gear together.

CONS: Risk it being detected as an over sized bag, worry about over weight and having to reduce weight, lose baggage and lose all gear.

TUSA BP 2 (or any other bag for single cold water gear)

PROS: Guarantee the bag gets through baggage check in. Lose a bag and lose one set of gear rather than two.

CONS: Overall cost is higher due to purchasing and addition bag. Lug around two bags vs one.

I am sitting on the fence on this one and was wondering if any traveling pair of divers could give me some thoughts or insight as to what is best. Suggestions and advice would be great!

Thanks.

Weight is the thing to worry about. I have never had my luggage measured even on strict airline like Malaysian. I use hard sided luggage now, much lighter than dive bags and cheaper. I use these, light and cheap and have survived a 3 month trip with no problems. I check everything, including regs and camera housing.

I was able to buy these separately and got two of the large ones.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4809771

I started with a GI Parachute and Duffle Bags. Cheap, light and no one rips them off. Then maxed out my carry on with two bags for the valuables.

Then my wife made me "get some class, not a lot, some".

My thought is that every pound in the luggage is a payload pound I can't take with me. Plus, if it is fancy luggage, or is of certain makes is more likely to draw unwanted attention.

So, I switched to cheap, frame but fabric covered therefore light, suitcases. I use two of them. One is max size allowed and one is smaller. For a couple years now they have been doing the job just fine.

Check the size and weight limits for the airlines you fly. Be very sure you do not exceed them. On the last trip I wasn't checked at all on the outbound trip. But on the return trip I was forced to repack because one bag was over a couple pounds and all bags were measured. So, had I not made sure before I left home that my luggage fit the rules I'd have been away from home and having to make some quick adjustments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom