Used drysuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefffalcone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive in New England, so a drysuit would be ideal. I'm thinking about buying a used DUI TLS 350. It's about ten years old, but well taken care of. How much life is left in this thing? Of course, I know that it all depends on condition, so I'll definately have my LDS check it before I agree to buy it. The seller is asking for $450. Is this a good price? I know this suit would run me close to $2000 brand new, but 10 years old seems pretty old. I'm new to the sport, so I'm not even sure if the suit DUI made 10 years ago is similar to the current one.

I also heard that if you buy a used drysuit you have to replace all of the seals because they are cut to fit. Is this true? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It would be a good idea to have the seals replaced in any case, but if the suit is in good condition and watertight, it seems like a good deal. Having your LDS check it out (and do the seal replacement if they are able) is a smart move.

I bought a used Bare drysuit out of LDS rental inventory last year and everything seemed fine to me. So, I replaced nothing and it seems to be working good(tiny/itsy-bitsy leak somewhere...I'm looking for it). However, it was only 1+ yrs old w/ few dives on it. Let your LDS take a look at before you use it if it's 10 yrs old.

LobstaMan

Varies. Ask your LDS. $450 is a great price, though, even though it's 10 years old, they should last a long time with decent care. Use it a few years, and sell it for what you paid, then upgrade to a newer one!

muddiver:
Go to http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/Service_Price_List_Retail.pdf and all the factory repair cost are there. Also consider the cost of shipping to California to the manufacturer. Otherwise find a local diving suit repair shop.
I don't know that replacing seals necessitates a trip tot he factory, where repair costs will be a lot higher. Full service, perhaps, but simply replacing seals is pretty simple. I've watched it being one with a hair dryer and some adhesive on the floor of my LDS.

jefffalcone:
I also heard that if you buy a used drysuit you have to replace all of the seals because they are cut to fit. Is this true? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Forgot to respond to this: You only have to replace the seals if they are in bad condition, or have been cut to fit someone smaller than you are. If you are a pencil neck, you'd better buy from another pencil neck, or yes, you'll have to replace the seals. Ditto for thin wristed folks. (I happen to fall into both of those categories, so I was very lucky to find a used suit with new, uncut seals when I bought mine.) Another used suit I tried on just recently had neck seals that fit, but wrist seals that didn't. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom