'Orange Shovels' - retractors and large volume masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colliam7

Tech Instructor
Staff member
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The responses to the Orange Shovel question in the New Divers ... forum raise two questions.

A number of posts, on the Orange Shovel thread (what is the diving equivalent of the hiker's orange shovel, signifying a newbie) and the ‘Most Regretted Equipment Purchases’ thread, mentioned retractors, as either the sign of a newbie, or something that people didn’t find useful after they purchase them. I am curious about the reason(s). I have found a retractor useful in a couple of situations, and maybe just haven’t had one ‘fail’ in the fully extended position to appreciate their deficiencies (or maybe am too clueless to appreciate why they are geeky). So, what are the negatives that others find with retractors?

Similarly, some great orange shovel comments were made about larger volume masks (‘aquarium on the grille means a new c-card in the pocket&#8217:wink:. I use both simple, low volume masks, as well as an Ocean Master View 3 - which I consider to be a big volume mask. While I find low volume masks to be fine for virtually all my diving, I don’t have a problem with my OM. So, what are the negatives that others have found – do they fog more, are they easier to get knocked around or off in smaller spaces?

Just curious.

Colliam7:
Similarly, some great orange shovel comments were made about larger volume masks
If someone would make a Mares ESA type mask (which would probably be considered "high volume") that wouldn't fall apart, I'd never use anything else.
Rick

Mares_Esa_440.jpg

I think the gist of the responses to that thread were, "if it works for you, use it". Every single one of the "orange shovel" items suggested was of value to some other experienced diver, hence, it came down to preference or bias.
A well fitting mask is always superior to a low volume one that doesn't work well for you.
For technical divers extra things that hang off you are a liability in a restricted or OH environment so no retractors. Instead they seem to use old rubber inner tubes.. I think the diffence may be perceived simplicity, reliability and performance.
I like my spare light on a retractor when I am using it.
Heck, even the actual orange shovel has it's experienced supporters :)

Rick Murchison:
If someone would make a Mares ESA type mask (which would probably be considered "high volume") that wouldn't fall apart, I'd never use anything else.

I have used three of them for maybe 9 years now. I think it depends upon how much you drop them, step on them or drop tanks on them.

All three ESAs still work quitre well.

Large volume masks can be necessitated, note the Hydro-Optix. Not for the average noob. A whole lot going on, task loading and all.

Not in the orange shovel list right off-hand. But, it depends upon the opeartor.... like Frank said, above.

RoatanMan:
I have used three of them for maybe 9 years now. I think it depends upon how much you drop them, step on them or drop tanks on them.
Well, no other masks come apart like them, and I've used plenty. Both my wife & I really like the mask, but neither of us have ever had one last more than a year or two before it starts leaking around the front lenses and those little plastic tabs that hold the trim that holds the lenses in start breaking.
Anyway, my point is that volume ain't necessarily an orange shovel. :)
Rick

Some time back I had an Ocean Master mask that I was happy with... until I boiught my first Cressi Big Eyes. I could see so much more with them that I've never looked back (and own four). Great for getting your eye close to the camcorder viewfinder in a housing, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom