Info Low volume mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMTX467

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have found that low volume masks tend to work better for me for whatever reason. I get a better seal and I find that my eyes just prefer them. Any suggestions on low-volume masks that are preferred by end users?

Thanks,

Josh

Dive deeper and equalize less! The MAKO Minimus “MINI” Diving Mask sets a new standard in low volume freedive masks.

Perfect fit Guarantee:​

Hey Dive Buddies,
I’m so confident in how well these awesome freedive masks fit, I want to prove it to you.
In the very remote chance my MAKO Minimus Freedive Mask does not fit, you can send it back within 90 days of the purchase date for a full refund.

Dive deeper and equalize less! The MAKO Minimus “MINI” Diving Mask sets a new standard in low volume freedive masks.

Perfect fit Guarantee:​

Hey Dive Buddies,
I’m so confident in how well these awesome freedive masks fit, I want to prove it to you.
In the very remote chance my MAKO Minimus Freedive Mask does not fit, you can send it back within 90 days of the purchase date for a full refund.

Any reason why you don't offer a single frame mask? I'd say I prefer a single frame, but I've never had or used a duel frame mask. Is there any advantage either way?

Nothing at all against MAKO, I own a few DGX and really like them. But again, zero experience with duel frame.

Any reason why you don't offer a single frame mask? I'd say I prefer a single frame, but I've never had or used a duel frame mask. Is there any advantage either way?

Nothing at all against MAKO, I own a few DGX and really like them. But again, zero experience with duel frame.

Thanks very much for the inquiry Rob.

Our market is primarily freedivers, however we do have a lot of customers who do scuba exclusively and many who enjoy both free and scuba diving.

I'll try to explain my understanding of the situation to the best of my ability, although I don't claim to be an expert on dive mask construction.

A low volume mask is a major benefit to a freediver, because all the air that is used to equalize the mask is consumed and thus not available for gas exchange or equalization of air spaces in the diver's body. As a freediver goes deep, the continual need to add air to the mask on descent is a significant disadvantage. In other words, a large volume mask wastes precious air.

In some super competitive and advanced disciplines/competitions, masks are entirely eliminated and special designed water filled goggles are used that have corrected lenses to allow sufficient optical acuity to swim up and down a line and pull a tag. "Wasted" air in the mask is irrelevant to a scuba diver who has plenty.

In order to reduce mask volume, it is necessary that the nose stick out from the mask and extend past the glass lense(s). This geometry means that two lenses are utilized in the construction. It allows the glass to be placed as close as possible to the eyes.

One of the significant benefits of reducing the distance from the lens to the eye is that it promotes visibility or, more correctly, does not inhibit peripheral or downward or upward vision. In most typical dive masks, vision is limited to some extent from side to side and more significantly downward by the larger skirt. With a small, two lens freedive mask, you really can hardly see any portion of the mask skirt, so vision is great. Very beneficial to underwater hunters, and I assume would be beneficial to scuba divers as well. Some people might assume that a small mask would negatively affect visibility, but the opposite is actually true; again simply due to the lenses being placed VERY close to the eyes.

We've heard of a very few people who have issues with this because they have extra long eye lashes that actually contact the glass when they blink and they find this irritating. To be honest, this is very rare, but I bring it up to emphasize that the lenses are as close as possible to reduce volume.

A low volume freedive mask is probably easier to clear and more importantly it is less likely to be dislodged on entry or in very high current environments. Relevant to scuba divers, I assume.

Some of the benefits are definitely tilted toward the freediver, but I don't see any disadvantage that a low volume mask provides to a scuba diver.

Edit: Actually, I thought of one... IF the mask is poorly constructed (and we have seen some cheap models in this regard) and the mask itself does not have sufficient rigidity, then the mask can be bent - causing the two lenses to no longer be on the same plane. This causes a bit of double vision and is often experienced, to some extent, when using a pair of swim goggles. This doesn't happen with any of the masks we offer due to the rigidity of the freedive masks we sell. It would be a non starter for a spearfisherman who absolutely relies on the best vision in order to line up longer shots, any eye-to-eye distortion would be intolerable.

Another potential advantage that the MAKO Minimus mask provides to scuba divers is the ability to "fold" the mask into a very compact package for storage in a pocket for emergency use. Besides being small, the Minimus also has tabs on the mask skirt that serve as the attachment points for the mask strap. Most full frame masks place a buckle on the outside edges of the mask. These buckles are at risk of breakage because they are fixed to the frame and vulnerable to side impacts from accidents or careless handling. This configuration also preclude the sides of the mask skirt from being folded inward for compact storage.

The image below shows the side of the Minimus mask and the tabs on the skirt rather than the frame.
mmm-side-view_dtl.jpg

Overall, comfort and fit are the most important factors by far. And of course, we guarantee satisfaction in both of these regards.

Thanks
dano

I have found that low volume masks tend to work better for me for whatever reason. I get a better seal and I find that my eyes just prefer them. Any suggestions on low-volume masks that are preferred by end users?

Thanks,

Josh

You have gone down the free diver mask route but I might suggest you reverse direction and take a look at the Scubapro Frameless and the Atomic Frameless. Both have a single lens and the Atomic in particular is very low volume. And there are numerous copies and minor variations on these two in the market.

James

Thanks very much for the inquiry Rob.

Our market is primarily freedivers, however we do have a lot of customers who do scuba exclusively and many who enjoy both free and scuba diving.

I'll try to explain my understanding of the situation to the best of my ability, although I don't claim to be an expert on dive mask construction.

A low volume mask is a major benefit to a freediver, because all the air that is used to equalize the mask is consumed and thus not available for gas exchange or equalization of air spaces in the diver's body. As a freediver goes deep, the continual need to add air to the mask on descent is a significant disadvantage. In other words, a large volume mask wastes precious air.

In some super competitive and advanced disciplines/competitions, masks are entirely eliminated and special designed water filled goggles are used that have corrected lenses to allow sufficient optical acuity to swim up and down a line and pull a tag. "Wasted" air in the mask is irrelevant to a scuba diver who has plenty.

In order to reduce mask volume, it is necessary that the nose stick out from the mask and extend past the glass lense(s). This geometry means that two lenses are utilized in the construction. It allows the glass to be placed as close as possible to the eyes.

One of the significant benefits of reducing the distance from the lens to the eye is that it promotes visibility or, more correctly, does not inhibit peripheral or downward or upward vision. In most typical dive masks, vision is limited to some extent from side to side and more significantly downward by the larger skirt. With a small, two lens freedive mask, you really can hardly see any portion of the mask skirt, so vision is great. Very beneficial to underwater hunters, and I assume would be beneficial to scuba divers as well. Some people might assume that a small mask would negatively affect visibility, but the opposite is actually true; again simply due to the lenses being placed VERY close to the eyes.

We've heard of a very few people who have issues with this because they have extra long eye lashes that actually contact the glass when they blink and they find this irritating. To be honest, this is very rare, but I bring it up to emphasize that the lenses are as close as possible to reduce volume.

A low volume freedive mask is probably easier to clear and more importantly it is less likely to be dislodged on entry or in very high current environments. Relevant to scuba divers, I assume.

Some of the benefits are definitely tilted toward the freediver, but I don't see any disadvantage that a low volume mask provides to a scuba diver.

Edit: Actually, I thought of one... IF the mask is poorly constructed (and we have seen some cheap models in this regard) and the mask itself does not have sufficient rigidity, then the mask can be bent - causing the two lenses to no longer be on the same plane. This causes a bit of double vision and is often experienced, to some extent, when using a pair of swim goggles. This doesn't happen with any of the masks we offer due to the rigidity of the freedive masks we sell. It would be a non starter for a spearfisherman who absolutely relies on the best vision in order to line up longer shots, any eye-to-eye distortion would be intolerable.

Another potential advantage that the MAKO Minimus mask provides to scuba divers is the ability to "fold" the mask into a very compact package for storage in a pocket for emergency use. Besides being small, the Minimus also has tabs on the mask skirt that serve as the attachment points for the mask strap. Most full frame masks place a buckle on the outside edges of the mask. These buckles are at risk of breakage because they are fixed to the frame and vulnerable to side impacts from accidents or careless handling. This configuration also preclude the sides of the mask skirt from being folded inward for compact storage.

The image below shows the side of the Minimus mask and the tabs on the skirt rather than the frame.
View attachment 736590

Overall, comfort and fit are the most important factors by far. And of course, we guarantee satisfaction in both of these regards.

Thanks
dano

Thank you for the in depth response.... I know more about masks then I ever thought possible, lol.

@JMTX467 I have seen tech divers with both types of masks. It's MAKO for $40 with 2 frames or DGX for $45 with 1 frame. I think it really boils down to personal preference and above all how it fits. You can always buy both, see which one is your favorite and use the other as a spare... still less expensive then buying a name brand mask, lol.

You have gone down the free diver mask route but I might suggest you reverse direction and take a look at the Scubapro Frameless and the Atomic Frameless. Both have a single lens and the Atomic in particular is very low volume. And there are numerous copies and minor variations on these two in the market.

James
But are those really worth the price over something like Mako or DGX? I have a Hollis M1 and my wife has the Atomic Frameless, and we both have a DGX as a backup mask. We have said to each other that we really can't tell the difference when we switch to the backup masks.

Back
Top Bottom