New Equipment Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gamehunter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am presently being offered keyman pricing for a new set of equipment:D . The shop carries aqualung for it's main supplier. I have been pricing a new set and am looking at all high end equipment.
I am considering going towards trimix classes and using doubles. I am looking at a set of Apeks regs, which are best for doubles? XTX-200,100,50's,other? or a combo of the regs, if combo,why? I will be doubling a set of PST HP 100's & OMS LP 120's
Apeks Wtx BC or web harness, why?, backplate? cell. What size cell for Great Lakes cold water, drysuit,etc 30,40,60,80 lbs lift? Will I need more than 1? Should I purchase the surelock weight pockets?
New computer, D9 or Vytec?other? I where 2 computers now with a SPG
I will also be purchasing all the rest of the equip from Aqualung, Mask fins Snorkle, suit.

I will continue to use my old equipment for backup. I am possibly looking into tec in a year or so. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Well, you will certainly get a lot of personal opinions, based on personal preferences, and you how much opinions are worth. :D But, that is exactly what my comments will be – personal opinions, based on my experience, which may (or may not) be relevant to your preferences. The context of my responses - a relatively new tec diver (PADI), diving in cold inland quarries in winter and warmer coastal (NC) waters in summer (i.e. no Great lakes experience). Trimix is my next tec step, anticipated to be later this year. There are a lot of tec divers with more experience lurking out here so you should be able to get a variety of opinions based on their experiences as well.

Gamehunter:
I am considering going towards trimix classes and using doubles. I am looking at a set of Apeks regs, which are best for doubles? XTX-200,100,50's,other? or a combo of the regs, if combo,why?

I dive ATX-200s, and have nothing but high praise for them. I wanted top end regs, that would function well in cold water, and which would breathe ‘easy’ at depth. It is hard to imagine that you would go wrong with the XTX-200s. I use AT-20s on my deco bottles, and am pleased with them, although I have had occasional free-flows in very cold water with one of them. I would go with two identical regs for the backgas, as I have never understood the logic of combining different regs. Maybe someone else can offer a different opinion.

Gamehunter:
I will be doubling a set of PST HP 100's & OMS LP 120's
So, you will have some weight on your back (I dive double PST HP120s), and that may be a help on weight.

Gamehunter:
Apeks Wtx BC or web harness, why?, backplate? cell.
No personal experience with the WTX but it looks like a good BC – reminds me a bit of the DR Transpac, but others who dive it will give you a more informed assessment. I would suggest you consider a simple BP, though, based again on individual preference. I don’t find the need for a lot of padding, particularly in my DS, and the extra padding, albeit minimal, adds buoyancy, and that means more lead. Some suggest an AL BP when you go double steel tanks, although more a consideration when diving wet. But, I suggest a simple SS BP. The best approach is a single piece web harness (I do that when diving doubles wet). But, for diving dry with my doubles, I use an OMS web harness with quick releases on the shoulder straps – it is just less of a battle to get out of it at the end of a dive (or into it, for that matter).

Gamehunter:
What size cell for Great Lakes cold water, drysuit,etc 30,40,60,80 lbs lift?
I suspect you will not need a cell greater than 60#. I found that a Rec wing, at 51# was just a little small for me in fresh water, with double steel 120s, and an AL:80 and an AL40 as my deco bottles. Part of that may be the fact that the Rec is a little narrow for doubles, despite marketing claims, and does not function optimally in that configuration. I also found that a 77# (dual bladder) Super Wing is overkill. Currently I have a H Explorer at 55# and love it. You’ll probably get some positive comments on the H Evolve (60#), and on Oxycheq and DSS wings as well.

Gamehunter:
Will I need more than 1?
Oooh, that’s an easy one. Of course you will ’need’ more than one! :D You cannot be a tec diver without a house full of gear! Seriously, you could conceivably dive with one and only one wing – a 50 - 60# wing should be versatile for doubles and singles. I keep several wings but that is ‘want’ more than ‘need’. It will depend on the diversity of your diving going forward.

Gamehunter:
Should I purchase the surelock weight pockets?
IMHO, I suggest you try to get to the point where you need NO additional weight. With a SS BP, and minimalist harness, and negative fins (e.g. SP Jets, whatever) and double HP steels, you might be able to. Of course, the GL are cold and you may end up with a lot of undergarment (I assume you are going trilam / shell, not crushed neoprene), and no added weight may not be an option. Othe GL divers can comment on that.

Gamehunter:
New computer, D9 or Vytec?other? I where 2 computers now with a SPG
If you are looking at trimix, why not go with a He-capable computer? I dive a Vytec and a Nitek He, and that works for me. I prefer the readability of the Vytec – big digits on the display – over the Nitek. No experience with the D9 – some on SB love it, others say it is overpriced. I’ll let them sort that out. While the Vytec is AI with an optional transmitter, I don’t use that feature with my doubles – I leave the transmitter on my singles reg, so an AI computer is not necessary or even very useful.

You have mentioned a lot of gear that I already have, My gear bag aready has in it a Diving Concepts trilam, SP Jetfins 2 pair, Mares Ice Reg, Sherwood Blizzard, Several steel tanks and aluminum 80's along with a Seaquest Bc for recreational diving. I have an UK light cannon with backup
I will be mostly recreational diving since tec is not pursed in our shop at this point. I would like the option of trimix and doubles for my deeper dives that I already do on air.
So the questions that I have are 200XTX or 50xtx/ds4?
The reason I like the WTX harness vrs Apex web system is the releases on the WTX, the web has none on the sholder. So I will be going with it.
The BP I will purchase SS and if it is to much weight I will purchase a aluminum later.
and I will go with the wtx60 bladder for now.
The one thing I don't understand is the weight congfiguration for ditchable weight, where is it if you use a backplate and steel tanks?
With a computer I already have a Stinger and a Oceanic AI. I think I will hold off on the new computer until I am into the trimix class. That way I will be able to get one from that shop. I may sell the Stinger and get the D9 for the price.
If anyone has other opions please let me here them as I am about to drop some hard cash and do not like buying items more than once, unless I ware it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom