Pinnacle Merino vs. Regular Neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking at wetsuits and had a question about the Pinnacle Merino wool lined versus their regular neoprene suits. I really liked the construction of the Pinnacles that I've seen and have heard good things about them. The shop I visted today suggested teh Merino wool lined suits versus the regular neoprene based on the claim that they keep you warmer.

I'm looking to buy a 7/5mm for cold water diving (55 - 60 degree) in some local quarries and around VA Beach and Outerbanks. The fit of the Pinnacle seems good for my body type.

The only thing that I have issue with is the price. The Merino wool lined suits are about twice the price as the regular suit. Is an extra $200 worth the wool? My feeling is that if they are that much warmer all the manufacturers would be doing something similar.

Thanks, Mike

I will tell you this, After diving Catalina Island Ca. in a rental 7mm (albeit a bit beat up) and being somewhat COLD after a short time. I recently went to Shaws cove Ca. and dove in a 5/4 Merino lined Pinnacle I purchased based on research, reviews and recomondations (not the only suit I looked at but one of my top 3) anyways in the same temp waters - low/mid 50's - I was MUCH warmer in the Pinnacle than the 7mm. The less bulk and restriction than a 7mm was much welcomed as well as the roll over neck collar is really nice too - less restriction on the neck without losing ANY sealing properties.

Another alternative I was looking at last night.... Getting the 5mm Merino with a hooded vest. I was thinking that may give me some versitility of using the hooded vest with the 5mm when it is really cold and then the 5mm alone in 60 degree and above.

I have a 7mm Pinnacle Elite suit. I've been diving it in Lake Superior at 41 degrees with no problem. Very warm suit. Many of us up here are diving the Pinnacle 7mm merino suits in those temps regularly and staying comfortable. It's been a long time since I dove a regular 7mm wetsuit, so I can't really make a side-by-side comparison for you. But I can say the merino Pinnacles are great suits and WARM.

The seals are top notch on these suits also. Legs and arms have long stove pipe type seals that do a great job. I've actually come up from 30 minute dives and still had dry spots inside the torso of the suit (easy to tell because the blue wool gets darker when wet).

I highly recommend the Pinnacle.

our LDS uses the 7/5 pinnacle suits for rentals & classes and everyone raves about them. They are more expensive for sure. The one thing I have noticed, however, is that they don't seem to be as durable as regular neoprene - several suits have been sent back in for repairs (rips around neck and back zipper areas) when they have <50 dives.

Mike126:
Another alternative I was looking at last night.... Getting the 5mm Merino with a hooded vest. I was thinking that may give me some versitility of using the hooded vest with the 5mm when it is really cold and then the 5mm alone in 60 degree and above.

im looking at getting this same combination and was just wondering if anyone had had any experience with it?

I have a Pinnacle merino lined 5mm hooded vest, i wear it under my Bare 7mm fullsuit. Love the combo.

I currently am diving the 5 mil merino Pinnacle with a hooded vest. Perfect combination. But, I am diving in Southern Okinawa with water temps of 21-23 degrees celsius. I stay plenty warm with that combo and sure you could go colder, but much beyond that and I'd definitely want a 7 mil suit. Nice suit, but sometimes the arm and leg seals are a pain and I'll wish I had zippers on them. Then again, I stay dry...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom