The BC from H#%*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How many people have done this?

When I started SCUBA diving, I tried (I really did!) to go slow on the gear acquisitions and make sure I knew what I wanted before I got it. Now, only a few dives later I realize that what I want is different stuff.

What makes it even more painful is that I bought my gear when I had more money than I do now, so I feel stuck.

Mainly what I'm talking about is:

1. Replace my wetsuit with a drysuit
2. Replace my sucky jacket-style BC with either a back-inflate BC or a BP/W
3. Replace my Air2 with a regular octupus

Now, the drysuit, I kinda saw that one coming, and just didn't want to spend the money at the time. The octo, not such a big deal, kinda like a "you say tomato" thing. But the one that really kills me is the BC. I spent so much time trying different ones, reading the litreature, asking around, etc. and still ended up with a P - O - S !!!!! How can that design work for anybody? And how can I have liked it so much at first, and HATE it so much now?

Anybody else do that?

sambolino44:
How many people have done this? ... 1. Replace my wetsuit with a drysuit ... 2. Replace my sucky jacket-style BC with either a back-inflate BC or a BP/W ... 3. Replace my Air2 with a regular octupus
Didn't start with an Air2, but I did move from a somewhat expensive back-inflate BC to BP/W, and I did ADD a drysuit (which I now dive as often as my wetsuit). In the summary list of 'Most Regretted Gear Purchases' that came out of another thread, items 2 and 3 were frequently mentioned so you're in good company. Consider the process part of the leaning we all go through as we refine our tastes though experience. For example, I still think my Ranger is a great BC, it just adds to my lead requirements. As we dive, our preferences develop and evolve. Some people start with one rig and dive it ten years till it wears out. Many don't and change their gear as they become more aware of what they like. Look at your experience as a good thing, because you now know what you like (and why).

You can probably find a buyer for the used gear (BC and Air2) at a decent price. Three suggestions to avoid some additional regrets. 1. If you replace your Air2, get another second stage to use as the octo that is the same as your primary - not a lower end model as many people do. 2. Definitely go with a BP/W now, instead of migrating through a back-inflate BC. Lots of reasons - a SS plate puts weight on your back and takes it off your waist, you will probably end up there eventually anyway, etc., etc. 3. In getting a drysuit, make sure you spend the money necessary to get one that is durable and fits well. As an example, I ended up paying a bit more to get a custom fit suit, while one of my dive buddies decided that he could 'make do' with a stock size suit that was a 'good enough' fit. I have no regrets and love my suit. He does (have regrets) and he doesn't (love his suit). You get what you pay for. Another item in the 'Most Regretted' thread was 'anything cheap'. What else are we going to do with our money, anyway? :D

sambolino44:
1. Replace my wetsuit with a drysuit
2. Replace my sucky jacket-style BC with either a back-inflate BC or a BP/W
3. Replace my Air2 with a regular octupus

So here we are in April and you want to dive dry, that makes sense where you are. In my world (Maine) that's handy at this time of the year too. By June I much prefer diving wet so perhaps getting into a drysuit by October is a more manageable long term strategy. It won't be long now, our ocean water temperature has just turned the corner. In the end it's not about one right suit but about a wardrobe so you can have the right suit for the right dive.

So what's wrong with your BC? Don't get sucked into the BC BS you read here. This assumes that what you have fits you. Other than that for single tank recreational diving the BC does not make the diver. A jacket is a back inflate for most of the dive since most have some backside air cell and during the dive you should not have copious amounts of air in the thing. Can you be more specific on the model and your dislikes?

AIR-2, well I hear you there. At least you can solve that one fairly cheap for about $125. Meanwhile drill with what you have and make your buddies aware of what to expect.

Step back and weigh your needs, wants and would like to adds before reinvesting. Also remember that in the classifieds you can probably recoup a good 50%+ of what you spent.

Think it through and make careful, informed choices.

Pete

I was also wondering what is wrong (more specifically) with your BC? A lot of folks love their jacket style BCs and wouldn't consider a back inflate or BP/W. I don't think I could convince my husband to go with a back inflate, he likes too many of the features that a jacket provides. As long as he's happy, that's all that matters.

My first BC was a jacket style and very popular with a lot of people, which was one reason I felt confident buying it. Unfortunately for me, I realized within a dozen dives that I hated it. I went with a back inflate Zeagle BC and would never go back. For me it's more about the minimalist style that the Zeagle Zena offers me, but the bottom line is that I hate anything with a cumberbun, so it's much more about BC styling than inflation styling.

You need to figure out exactly WHAT it is you hate about your jacket BC before you can find the right gear IMO.

I agree. I have both but dive my BC almost all the time.

Welcome to the real world of diving--lol.

I was at my LDS yesterday, and was overhearing the shop owner trying to explain to someone who was either a brand new diver or an "about-to-be" diver what he would recommend she buy in the way of gear. I saw the very dubious expression on her face, as he explained the advantages of a BP/W. You could almost hear the wheels turning: "That looks UNCOMFORTABLE. Why would you want to wear a METAL PLATE on your back? THAT'S not going to be fun in my wetsuit in Hawaii . . . "

By the time I'd been diving six months, I'd replaced the BC and Air 2 with a BP/W and long hose/bungied backup system. I'd replaced the Cobra I bought with such thought with a wrist-mounted computer, and eventually with a simple SPG. And I'd replaced the enormously expensive split fins with a set of Jets. So I feel your pain.

Without knowing your specific issues with your BC, it’s difficult to make a reasoned suggestion, but I will offer this: Go slowly. Try a back-inflate and/or BP/wing, at least in a pool, before buying. It would be a shame to spend more money and still have the same problems, or perhaps different or additional ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom