OMG - we are SO not in Kansas anymore...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As you know, I dive dry. This means I've tried all manner of DS Undies.

Janice (Software), Carols, DUI, Bare, eBay Specials, home-brew (Patagonia, REI, Cabellas, etc, etc) and all manner of combinations of these. I have an undie cocktail to match any temperature I'm likely to see locally.

I've got a couple of suits now, and one of them is a CF200 - its not slippery inside like my TriLam, so the Polartec suits are velcro... not the best.

Plus, I'm layering stuff for the low 50's and sub 50's, so I'm a little poofy. As a photographer, I'm not moving much, doing long dives, etc, etc... So for about 3 or 4 months I've been looking for a slick suit that is thin and warm.

I found the "DUI Lite Loft" on eBay for pretty cheap - and I dived it this weekend. Very nice. Its kind of a Thinsulate / Polartec blend. However, its a bit of a pain to put on, as the liner isn't connected to the top coat, so you essentially unroll the legs as you put it on, then have to tuck the bottom 6 inches back in, take out the wrinkles, etc. But its very slippery, and pretty warm. I liked it. A little poofy, but not bad.

BUT - today my 400 GR Thinsulate came in. Probably one of my best eBay finds, ever. Been waiting for it to show up. Oh, baby...

Woof.

This thing is serious. I can't wait to dive it this week. I may fry. I may not. Who knows. What I do know is this: I've never worn anything like this under my suit.

Can't wait!

...to be continued.

---
Ken

Might be a bit warm for your waters, but I've been very happy here in my Pinnacle Merino Evo undergarment. Very slick, and very, very warm.

The DUI 400g is, along with the Weezle, a staple in the PNW. I don't have one because the smallest non-custom one they make is two feet too long. Literally.

I wonder how it compares to the Andy's 400g undergarment. Anyone know, or use it?

I picked one up several months ago because, well, it was a deal. Rental from my LDS that fit me perfectly, only used about 10 times. Figured it was way too warm for our SoCal waters, but couldn't pass up the deal, considering new 400g UGs seem to be in the $600 range (Ouch!), and someday I might head up north for a visit. :D

Rainer:
Might be a bit warm for your waters, but I've been very happy here in my Pinnacle Merino Evo undergarment. Very slick, and very, very warm.
I'll agree to that.
I bought one and had to return it as it didn't fit in my drysuit (my masculine muscular calves :D). It about gave me a heat stroke just standing in it.
Outer shell of slippery nylon--breaks the wind if you're standing around
100g thinsulate under that
250g technical fleece under that
300g Merino wool under that

SparticleBrane:
I'll agree to that.
I bought one and had to return it as it didn't fit in my drysuit (my masculine muscular calves :D). It about gave me a heat stroke just standing in it.
Outer shell of slippery nylon--breaks the wind if you're standing around
100g thinsulate under that
250g technical fleece under that
300g Merino wool under that

You have got to be cooled natured!!! 650g of insulation!

Mo2vation, you should be fine in 400g thinsulate. I use the Bare 200 plus 200 microfleece and love it even down into the low 40's. Not doing deco dives so I don't know what you would get with that but it is good for the usual dive.

I'd hope 400 gr is warm enough. However there are some people that just plain are cold natured. For me it's too much. I have a 400 gr thinsulate that I never use, and a 200 gr I dive year round. For Winter usage with temps around 36 degree's I'll use a 100 gr fleece thermal under the 200 gr thinsulate and I'm fine no matter what depth or temperature. For summer I'll sometimes go lighter on the thermal underwear.

So, hopefully the 400 isn't too hot. When I wear mine I get wet, well soaked with sweat and that's not fun.

TSandM:
The DUI 400g is, along with the Weezle, a staple in the PNW. I don't have one because the smallest non-custom one they make is two feet too long. Literally.
Holy cow, girl! How tall are you? I'm 5'3", and the extra small fits me fairly well, only about 2" too long in the arms and legs. The legs are not a big deal, and the arms I just tuck the ribbed portion inside the sleeve.

Back
Top Bottom