Critique my Setup About to Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kash

Registered
Reaction score
This is what i'm about to buy:

Totally Dry Snorkel

Apollo Bio Fins Pro

Zeagle Brigade

Delta 3 TDX5

Viper Octo

Datamax Pro Plus II 2

Atomic Mask

Also does the forum have any approved vendors as this is about $2k just wondering lookn around for good prices too
Thanks
Kash (no irony in the name :( )

Skip the totally dry snorkel unless you intend to do a lot of snorkeling with it. Get the least expensive snorkel you can find, all it really needs is a 12-15 inch long bore (tube) with a bore diameter of 3/4 inch.
Ber :lilbunny:

yeah that snorkle was $20 bucks :-\ i guess you cant really go wrong for that price. its jsut good for when i'm with people w/o dive certs we can go snorkling

Well, seeing as ST is the only place that sells the Brigade, you might be locked in with them! :wink: Call and they'll give you 10% off their internet listed price. I'll let others comment on the gear; just wanted to pass along some info about how to save money.

well i just herd on the forum that thats a good bcd, i think its more of a pref thing i havent really used it just alot of people really like it

I love my Zeagle Stilletto, now that I have the right size. Sizing is critical, make sure to measure yourself and get the right size. I bought mine from my LDS to ensure the correct sizing, they gave me the wrong size anyway, but let me swap it after 20 dives :) I'm sure the Brigade is great too. I've heard people say you can put doubles on the Ranger, and used this as a selling point. Don't believe it if they are using that as a selling point for the Brigade (don't think they are tho)

I also have the datamax pro plus ii. now that I have it and have been diving with it, I think I would skip the air integration and go with a wrist computer unless you need the billboard size display. not that it isn't a good computer, but I don't really see much value in the air integration piece and its easier to see on your wrist. I'd go with a traditional pressure gauge and a compass in your console, and a wrist computer.

Definitely agree with the Rabbit about the snorkel. You'll probably abandon it in time, anyway, and all the extra valves do at the top is add weight and more of a floppy factor.

The Bio fins - GREAT choice. Have Atomic Aquatics myself now, but the Bios arrive today!
The Brigade - GREAT choice. Zeagle makes a spectacular BC, and I've been thrilled with mine. (I'm upgrading to a BP/W, however, that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality or satisfaction with my Zeagle).
Atomic mask - GREAT choice. I loved it (had to give it to my wife, 'cause it was too low volume for me, and with a 'stache it leaked). However, my wife loves it.
Delta, Viper, Datamax, can't comment on. I've got Atomic B2, Atomic SS1, and Aeris Atmos 2, respectively.

Good luck...

wavey.gif
kekekegay.gif

BKP:
Definitely agree with the Rabbit about the snorkel. You'll probably abandon it in time, anyway, and all the extra valves do at the top is add weight and more of a floppy factor.

The Bio fins - GREAT choice. Have Atomic Aquatics myself now, but the Bios arrive today!
The Brigade - GREAT choice. Zeagle makes a spectacular BC, and I've been thrilled with mine. (I'm upgrading to a BP/W, however, that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality or satisfaction with my Zeagle).
Atomic mask - GREAT choice. I loved it (had to give it to my wife, 'cause it was too low volume for me, and with a 'stache it leaked). However, my wife loves it.
Delta, Viper, Datamax, can't comment on. I've got Atomic B2, Atomic SS1, and Aeris Atmos 2, respectively.

Good luck...
Yeah i dunno too much about diving computers, i know htye really get technical but really all i need is down time hehe oh and thanks a bunch :)
doubleu:
highfive.gif

My wife has the Atomic frameless. When my 15 year old cressi started leaking I grabbed hers. Hated it. In order to get it to seal on my face I needed it so tight that the top pressed uncomfortably hard against my forehead. now have a framed scuba pro that is great. also, many people (myself included) prefer a black skirt to the transparent one (check other threads on this).

I have the atomic B2 and the SS1. Love the B2, great reg. I added a comfo bite mouth piece because I just got braces on my teeth (at 41 - hate the bloody things, braces that is). that and the reg's light weight and swivel hose do wonders to reduce jaw fatigue. I would not go with the SS1 again, I would get a traditional octo. first, I don't see a whole lot of value in having one less hose. second, the purpose of the octo is for you to use when your buddy is OOA or your primary 2nd stage fails. Now, consider having to ascend, do saftey stop, fill and vent your BC all while having that SS1/inflator in your mouth and breathing. Not as easy. I've done it from 60' for grins, and I wasn't stressed from a real emergency.

final comment on the fins. I have an ancient pair of tusa liberators, which are not split. the lds keeps trying to sell me split fins and then makes comments like "split fins make speed, traditional fins make power" ????what???? ok, I'm an engineering/math/engine type geek....that doesn't make sense. Also, when I was doing my rescue cert a few months ago and dragging a LARGE individual from 40' depth I heard the comment "couldn't have done that with split fins". so why buy them? sorry, many people love them but I don't buy into it. until I see some real numbers from well controlled engineering tests rather than just anecdotal evidence then I will never buy into the split fin thing.

Back
Top Bottom