New gear advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigred

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm signed up for AOW this June, and I thought I would take the plunge and buy my own gear. I tried a few things on at the shop, and here's what I liked:

1. Dive-Rite SS backplate.
2. Dive-Rite Transplate Harness
3. Dive-Rite Venture Wing
4. A pair of 16 lb weight pockets.

I'm a little concerned about my weighting. AOW will be off the NC coast using a 3mm two-piece wetsuit. I needed 15 lbs of weight last time I was there, but that was with a rental one-piece 3mm wetsuit and BC that didn't quite fit quite right. Assuming the SS backplate adds 5 lbs, am I cutting it too close? Would aluminum be a better choice?

I want a computer too, and I'm deciding between the Nitek Duo and Mares Nemo Wide. I haven't seen these in person yet, but I'm leaning towards the Duo, mainly because it's cheaper.

As for a regulator, my LDS carries Aqualung and Scubapro. They're offering a free octopus with the Aqualung Titan, but I don't really know how to compare regulators. What's a good mid-ranged (balanced) regulator?

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully more gear will mean more diving. :)

-Sean

bigred:
4. A pair of 16 lb weight pockets.

I'm a little concerned about my weighting. AOW will be off the NC coast using a 3mm two-piece wetsuit. I needed 15 lbs of weight last time I was there, but that was with a rental one-piece 3mm wetsuit and BC that didn't quite fit quite right. Assuming the SS backplate adds 5 lbs, am I cutting it too close? Would aluminum be a better choice?
So your new rig will have room for 16 pounds and has another 5 inherent in the plate for 21 pounds of capacity.

You needed 15 to dive a use 3mm fullsuit. Fit really does not matter, any extra water in the suit was neutral. Going from a jacket to the BP&W means you probably leave behind a little jacket buoyancy which helps.

So will the transition from a used 3mm fullsuit to a new 3mm John & Jacket with the BC swap require more than 6 pounds of additional weight?

I think you should be fine but if you need a little more you can always lace a pair of 2 pounders farther back on the waist strap, wear a weight belt, add a clip on 2 pounder or 2 for openers.

bigred:
I want a computer too, and I'm deciding between the Nitek Duo and Mares Nemo Wide. I haven't seen these in person yet, but I'm leaning towards the Duo, mainly because it's cheaper.
A buddy and his wife have a branded version of that and it seems like a nice unit. Make sure you are getting fresh stock. Early on they had problems. Those that my friends bought both failed early on and needed to be replaced (N/C) it was a known issue with a specific batch. Ask your dealer to determine that yours is clear of that issue.

bigred:
Hopefully more gear will mean more diving. :)
-Sean
That is a big key to frequent diving and it sounds like your time has come.

Pete

When I first got my rig I tried it out in the pool first. Best thing I could have done. Give it a try.

bigred:
I'm signed up for AOW this June, and I thought I would take the plunge and buy my own gear. ... 1. Dive-Rite SS backplate. 2. Dive-Rite Transplate Harness 3. Dive-Rite Venture Wing 4. A pair of 16 lb weight pockets. ... I'm a little concerned about my weighting. ... Would aluminum be a better choice?
I would definitely go with SS, not AL. Given the weight you needed last time, a SS BP will allow you to drop some weight compared to a BC, but not all. Also, more diving (in that great new personal gear) will help you refine your breathing and weighting, and possibly allow you to drop even more. But, until you move to doubles, or possibly heavy HP steel singles, the SS should serve you very well. I use a SS wet and dry, with a single steel 120 and am not overweighted. BTW, GOOD FOR YOU in going BP/W to start. You won't regret the choice. One question - any particular reason for the Transplate over a simple web harness? Transplate is a great rig, so this isn't a criticism. Just curious.

bigred:
As for a regulator, my LDS carries Aqualung and Scubapro. They're offering a free octopus with the Aqualung Titan, but I don't really know how to compare regulators. What's a good mid-ranged (balanced) regulator?

No specific reg recommendation, as I don't know Aqualung or SP. But, I would suggest you consider going with two identical (good) second stages. Some folks seem to go cheap(er) on the octo, and the deals such as the free octo end up encouraging that. Don't. Spend a little extra to have a good reg available when you donate that primary.

Good choice for a BC, I think you will be very happy with the BP/Wing. As for regs, I can highly recommend Scubapro. I would look at a few models specifically. The Mk25/G250 is one of my favorites. Stay away from the S600 on the MK25 though, it does not breath as well. The other would be the MK17 with either the X650, G250 or even the S600. I am so impressed with this first stage. I would stick a cheap R190 on any of these for the octo. It will breath fairly well on any of these first stages, but it is not balanced, and you should not spend a fortune on an octo.

Great choices!

Definitely stay with the SS backplate. Your weight will be better distributed.

The AL Titan LX is a great regulator, and probably the best buy available in almost-top-of-the-line regs.

Either computer will do the job, but if you want a recommendation, I am a fan of the DiveRite computers--as long as your vision is good enough to read the small display.

theskull

Igodeep:
Good choice for a BC, I think you will be very happy with the BP/Wing. As for regs, I can highly recommend Scubapro. I would look at a few models specifically. The Mk25/G250 is one of my favorites. Stay away from the S600 on the MK25 though, it does not breath as well. The other would be the MK17 with either the X650, G250 or even the S600. I am so impressed with this first stage. I would stick a cheap R190 on any of these for the octo. It will breath fairly well on any of these first stages, but it is not balanced, and you should not spend a fortune on an octo.
The MK25/S600 is one the best reg combinations made, and one of the more popular combinations chosen in the tech diving community. Why on earth would you say it doesn't breathe well?

The MK17 is a great first stage, and cheaper than MK25, and absolutely necessary for waters in the low 40s and under. The MK25 is just as good if not better in anything over the low 40 temps, and the hose routing is better.

The S555 second stage is a good alternate to the S600 if you're looking to save a few bucks. I agree the Mk25/G250 is also a great performer, and one of the cheaper combinations, I just don't care for it as much as the MK25/S600.

I guess I'm good on the BP/W setup. I see BP/W recommended here on Scubaboard all the time, but I was kind of surprised about how comfortable it was. Looks like it will pack really well too.

I was a little concerned about being overweight, but it sounds like that won't be the case. I'll definitely try my new gear in the pool before jumping in the ocean. Hopefully after spending all the $$$ at the shop, they'll let me attend one of their open water pool sessions.

I'm going to make my computer decision after getting a chance to play with them in the store. My impressions so far are based on the user manuals, and Duo's manual is a lot better than the Nemo Wide. If the Nemo's display is really that much better, I'll probably choose it instead.

Still not sure about the regulator. I'll definitely give the Scubapros a closer look though.

Thanks everybody. This is going to be a fun. (until the bill comes...) :)

-Sean

my suggestion would be not to buy the weight pouches yet. wear a belt for a while until you have an idea how much you'll need. you may be able to put some trim weight pouches on your cam bands & not need such large pouches. and if you do, no harm - just go get 'em!

and get a good secondary reg, not one marketed as an octo. you or someone else you love might have to breathe off it one day for real.

Back
Top Bottom