Mr. Mix and Match

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On a recent dive, I was sitting across from a couple that looked like they were in a scuba gear ad. Head to toe, every piece of gear was Scubapro, even all the colors matched. This is not a bust on Scubapro by the way, but I had to laugh because I looked at my stuff and it was like this - Hollis M1 mask, Dive Rite XT1/XT4 regulators, Apeks torch, Bare wetsuit, Dive Gear Express backplate, Subgravity wing, Deep 6 harness, XS Scuba socks, Seac boots, Shearwater DC, and Scubapro Go Sport fins. LOL 11 different vendors.

I like it when everything matches. IMaybe not brandwise, but definitely color-wise…
I started out all Scubapro, but then it happened... Shearwater had a better computer, I liked Bare exposure protection better and then my wife had to get me a titanium Atomic as an anniversary gift…
I am totally mismatched now! I am ok with that now, but It still warms my heart when I see someone completely matched 😜

Fit and function would override matching colors for us but hey if it works. Why not.

This could also be some folks with their initial gear purchase (that had a very good Scubapro salesman at the shop :)

Meh. I got nothing that matches, but I like what I got.

I pretty much color matched, but my brands were based on what fit and felt comfortable. Henderson wetsuits, Wateproof hood, Cressi boots, think the gloves are Liesurepro. Tanks were gifted. One’s black. One’s green and I have no idea what brand, TBH. A friend told me fit and function is most important.

On a recent dive, I was sitting across from a couple that looked like they were in a scuba gear ad. Head to toe, every piece of gear was Scubapro, even all the colors matched. This is not a bust on Scubapro by the way, but I had to laugh because I looked at my stuff and it was like this - Hollis M1 mask, Dive Rite XT1/XT4 regulators, Apeks torch, Bare wetsuit, Dive Gear Express backplate, Subgravity wing, Deep 6 harness, XS Scuba socks, Seac boots, Shearwater DC, and Scubapro Go Sport fins. LOL 11 different vendors.
They went to a shop that uses the PT Barnum business model.

I like it when everything matches. IMaybe not brandwise, but definitely color-wise…
I started out all Scubapro, but then it happened... Shearwater had a better computer, I liked Bare exposure protection better and then my wife had to get me a titanium Atomic as an anniversary gift…
I am totally mismatched now! I am ok with that now, but It still warms my heart when I see someone completely matched 😜
So I'm teaching this OW class many years ago, and one of the multiple-choice final exam questions was about what is the most important attribute of a regulator? One young lady answered, "The color." Like a good instructor should, I didn't just say "Wrong, dummy, it's the ease of breathing" but asked, "why did you choose that answer?" She responded, "Because when I'm color-coordinated I'm more relaxed and so would breath more slowly and comfortably, and probably use less gas."

My most recent dive: TUSA mask, Mares MR22/Proton Metal regs, DGX torch, Henderson wetsuit, Freedom plate, VDH wing, Piranha harness with XS Scuba trim pockets, Deep 6 computer, Force Fins over bare feet.

As to the colors: Nitrox green harness webbing and yellow fins. Everything else was black except for the grey and orange computer strap and red accents on the wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom