Where to buy equipment and what

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sepandee

Contributor
Reaction score
I have my AOW PADI certificate and I'm going back to dive some more in May, maybe even get my rescue diver.

If I want to buy gear:

1) Would it be better and cheaper to buy it in the caribbean (barbados) or should I buy it here in Canada (right now I'm in Halifax, NS., East coast of Canada)?
2) If I only had limited money to spend, what do you think is/are best to buy first?

Thanks

I would recommend buying your Regulator/ Octo setup, BCD, and computer first, and buy them at your LDS where you know them-they know you, and you can get them reliably serviced.

I assume that you already have your mask & fins, but if not it would also be nice if you purchased them there as well (because you can get fitted properly). Having said that, you probably can save alot of money by getting those on the internet at Scubatoys.com, along with a 10% discount for being a member of Scubaboard. Certainly alot of your accessories can be obtained over the net at a lower cost.

just my 2psi's worth - good luck - Chris

I'm new in Halifax, so my LDS (I'm assuming that stands for local diving store) does not know me and I don't know them. Having said that, would it be better and cheaper (I'm not looking for something cheap and unreliable, just the same product but cheaper) to buy my regulator/Octosetup and BCD (no computers for now, too expensive, I'll have to rely on a diver watch and my buddy's computer for now) here in North America or in the Caribbean?

Carribean would be the LAST place I would buy gear. EVERYthing that is sold there is shipped in from elsewhere and is WAY more expensive there than most any place else.

Depends on what brand equipment you want to purchase. Scubatoys is a good choice but they no longer carry Scubapro equipment. Purchasing equipment in Barbados is a bad idea...... tourist places usually are very high and you may have a problem with service after you leave the island.

Sepandee:
I'll have to rely on a diver watch and my buddy's computer for now

You should not do this. Even though you spend your time fairly close together, your profiles will differ. If you don't have a computer, plan your dives with the tables.

C Chris:
Having said that, you probably can save alot of money by getting those on the internet at Scubatoys.com, along with a 10% discount for being a member of Scubaboard. Certainly alot of your accessories can be obtained over the net at a lower cost.

K how can I get that discount? Is there a special coupon code or something?

You should definitely do the rescue course. It is a lot of fun, and unlike AOW, you will actually learn something.

It would be better to buy gear in Canada. It will probably cost a lot more in the Caribbean. I'm not going get into the internet LDS debate. Search for one of the other threads about that.

The first gear I would buy is a regulator and then a BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom