Armor All is da BomB!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After 50 or so dives in my Bare NexGen drysuit at the Blue Hole and Freshwater Lakes, my I noticed my NexGen was looking rather pathetic. The silt at the Hole is grey, and my black NexGen was covered with great marble streaks and stains, and was looking very dried out.

I tried scrubbing it with a wash cloth and soap, and while wet it looks fine, it still dried back stained. Ohh well, I'm not a fashion statement in any event, right! :shakehead

Well last night I noticed some Armor all in my closet, and so while my drysuit was drying I sprayed some on one leg, and then washed it with a wet wash cloth. An hour later it was dry, and the material looked new again! Wow, so I did the entire front, and left it to dry overnight! It now looks as good as I did on the shelf, and the fabric seems to be happier as well.

Armor All really worked well to restore my drysuit to it's original condition.

I just hope there's no ArmorAll residue left on the suit that could affect marine life. I know when I'm in the Caribbean they demand that we use bio-degradable suntan lotion because the other stuff kills coral apparently. I can't imagine ArmorAll is good for marine life either.

Good luck. I hope you are able to put seals on it after using Armor All. That can be very bad. The glues used on the seals will not stick to a surface that has been treated or coat with any type of silicone. Trust me on that!

RonFrank:
Well last night I noticed some Armor all in my closet, and so while my drysuit was drying I sprayed some on one leg, and then washed it with a wet wash cloth. An hour later it was dry, and the material looked new again! Wow, so I did the entire front, and left it to dry overnight! It now looks as good as I did on the shelf, and the fabric seems to be happier as well.

Armor All really worked well to restore my drysuit to it's original condition.

I wonder what the long term effects of this are on the drysuit?

the reason I ask this is that folks say don't use Armor-All on the dashboard of your car because it will cause the dashboard to dry out and crack.

I imagine the same would be true for drysuit materials. I would think this would especially be bad on seals.

just some thoughts....

mike_s:
I wonder what the long term effects of this are on the drysuit?

the reason I ask this is that folks say don't use Armor-All on the dashboard of your car because it will cause the dashboard to dry out and crack.

I imagine the same would be true for drysuit materials. I would think this would especially be bad on seals.

just some thoughts....

Probably a few holes here & there but some call that A/C.....

Be careful with that Armor-All. As it is a super-efficient surfactant reducing the frictional bonds between your drysuit and the surrounding water column, you could go plummeting right down to the bottom and really damage the coral, wreck, or whatever else you slam down on.
It's just like why people have to avoid sinking ships - it's not the suction that drags people down - it's the reduced friction of the air bubbles escaping the sinking hull - people fall through the air/water mixture and have just enough time to think, "Oh s" and discover that they're at 200', and that's just for starters.
So be careful.

Tom, Mythbusters busted that myth if I remember correctly.

... and while your theory about the ArmorAll creating an unstable (for lack of a better word) water column is entertaining,.. I sincerely doubt that would happen in real life.

But hey,.. try it out. Take an apple (or anything else that floats), coat it in ArmorAll and drop it in a tub of water.

I bet it still floats. :wink:

Fish,.. I was hoping he was joking, but then again,.. maybe that's why I see more fish the deeper I go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom