Zipper Oil or Wax?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NARCOSISOFTHERIVER

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gang, I just wanted to get some info on drysuit zipper oil and wax. My suit came with a zipper oil and it seems to work great, but I hear a lot about divers also using wax. Is one any better than the other? Cheers, Mark.

Mine came with Wax and a lube for the open end. It is a Viking if that matters (Not sure if they are all the same or not????

I use a wax stick,,,,seems to work just fine.

not to mention I havent waxed my suit in almost a yr, with about 50 dives on it since then so ocnstant use and cleaning does pretty good too

Cheekymonkey:
not to mention I havent waxed my suit in almost a yr, with about 50 dives on it since then so ocnstant use and cleaning does pretty good too

I would WAX that sucker....WAY over due!

Cheekymonkey:
still slides smooth, just gets enough use I guess...

It has more to do with just sliding smooth.....I use mine more than 50 dives a year and keep the suit very clean,,,but the wax provides a lubricant to help retard wear on the teeth and stress on the surround fabric. Also it helps to ensure a bit of water tightness. You oil the chain on a bike and add oil to an engine,,,,,keep that 300-400 dollar zipper waxed and it will last you a whole lot longer. :D

Wax lasts longer (doesn't wash off) than oil. If you use oil, make sure that it is compatible with latex and neoprene.

I have found that the best waxes are beeswax or a combination of beeswax and parafin. You can easily combine or mix waxes by simply melting and mixing them. I have not tried it, but I suspect that a combination of beeswax and a small amount of petroleum jelly would work well also. If you want to experiment, I would try a mix of about 90% beeswax to 10% petroleum jelly to start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom