Zipper Oil or Wax?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wax isn't that special, my Viking came with wax only and for the most part it's just beeswax.

Waxing and cleaning the zipper is very important, if you want the drysuit zipper to last do it, if not skip it.

Your best off going to your local West Marine or boat store and get some sail wax. It is the best stuff to use on eisenglass enclousures that use fairly large strong zippers. You see on all the big flybridge style yachts.

Jack

but if it gets anywhere near the seals it will degrade it incredibly fast, like non water based lube on a condom ... not sure if thats appropriate but it gets the point across

Well you convinced me. I'll BEE picking some up on the weekend. Wax on, Wax off. Cheers, Mark.

captndale:
I have found that the best waxes are beeswax or a combination of beeswax and parafin. You can easily combine or mix waxes by simply melting and mixing them. I have not tried it, but I suspect that a combination of beeswax and a small amount of petroleum jelly would work well also. If you want to experiment, I would try a mix of about 90% beeswax to 10% petroleum jelly to start.
Just be careful melting wax, it's quite flammable. There's tons of information out there for melting wax, so check it out to be safe (most suggest that doing it without a double-boiler and a fire extinguisher is foolish).

Cheekymonkey:
but if it gets anywhere near the seals it will degrade it incredibly fast, like non water based lube on a condom ... not sure if thats appropriate but it gets the point across
Petroleum Jelly is an oil. Oil and latex are a very bad combination, oil degrades latex. However silicon lube and latex seals/condoms are a perfectly friendly combination. The reason a lot of manufacturers suggest never getting silicon on a latex seal is that it can make replacing the seal harder. However, warm soapy water will get rid of silicon lube very nicely.

Incidentally, if you go to your friendly neighbourhood sex shop (or better pharmacy), you can get the identical silicon lube as Seal Saver for a fraction the price. I happen to prefer a product called Eros Bodyglide, but it's a more expensive brand (still much cheaper than Seal Saver, for the same ingredients). Though you don't really need any special type of silicon lube for your seals, so you can save even more by getting the silicon from Wet or other brand. I'll probably pick up another cheaper bottle for diving.

You'll also find that if you have chafing problems (wetsuit/drysuit seals, or other) a little silicon will prevent it entirely.

NOTE: Ironically, the one thing silicon does not play well with is silicon. It doesn't harm it, rather it binds together which can add a rough, somewhat dirty finish to any silicon you get silicon lube in contact with.

Craig

CompuDude:
For crying out loud!

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUMW.html

$2.75. How cheap ARE you people?

Cheaper ... I use food grade parafin. Costs that much at the grocery store and I have enough left over that I could wax the zipper after each and every dive and still have extra.

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice: Pull down your pants and slide on the ice." - Dr. Sidney Freedman, M*A*S*H

Love that line :rofl3:

Wax your zipper, your zipper is your friend!!!

I wax my legs "err never mind" Zipper after each days diving. I'm lost to the fact that some people wouldn't. Someone told me to always leave the zipper open, basically if you always do the zipper up you are doubling the amount of its usage, so I always store and pack mine open.

:crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom