Officially Bummed :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was scheduled to teach my first OW course starting this Friday after several months of planning, scrounging, borrowing and buying equipment, materials etc. when I got a phone call this afternoon saying they changed their minds about getting certified :(

I didn't realize how much I was looking forward to this till they cancelled ... I know life goes on and all that, and this isn't a "big" deal, but it was still dissapointing.

On a good note I did get my shifts back at work that I had requested off for the weekend - so at least I don't lose income from lost work days. :) And I am now ready to teach my first class ... just need some students :D

Sorry, I just had to "vent" my dissapointment a lil' bit ... now I gotta go diving - who wants to go?

Aloha, Tim

Tim, I'd send you anybody I knew who wanted to get certified on Maui. The people who cancelled on you know neither what quality of instruction and background they are missing, nor what a motivated and sincerely nice person was going to teach them.

I'd dive with you in a NY minute, if I were there, Tim. There will be other students, I promise. :)

kidspot:
so at least I don't lose income from lost work days. :)

Wow...very lucky! That is about the worst thing that could have happened - glad you got your shifts back :wink:

Take a deposit up front next time. People don't realize how much work independent instructors do just to prepare for a course. Equipment, logistics and scheduling.

Don't get down. You'll get other students soon and you'll know exactly how to prepare for them.

thanks guys ...

More good news - I get to go diving this weekend - graduation dive for an EANx student :) (yes I require dives in my Nitrox class). We have an 80 ft dive at coral gardens planned :D then I can hand him his C-card (I ordered it unbeknownst to him after he passed his written exam)

Now I gotta see if KrisB got that rebreather so I can grab my doubles and we can go do a nice loooong dive :D

I agree, get a deposit. being a nice guy will only get you scewed. People just dont understand what happens when they change there minds at the last minute.

Another vote for a deposit (actually, I require full payment before scheduling a course). I also have a rescheduling policy/fee along with a refund policy on my website. I didn't start out with these things, but did learn pretty quickly.

Man, I have OW water already but, if I had the funds, I'd fly out and take a class with you. Maybe you could do an AOW while I'm there and since I just recently got nitrox certified, I can dive with you and your other student. That'd be nice but, just a dream... :(

Michael

Another vote for the deposit.

You do this long enough you start to realize almost everyone thinks diving is cool and would like to do it but a lot less of them are willing to lay down the green and take the time to get it done. It's just the way it is.

A non-refundable deposit, whatever you feel is a reasonable if they do cancel, weeds out most of the really serious from the not so serious. I always charge $20 bucks. That works pretty well for me.

It's a pretty big commitment, more really in time than money for a lot of folks.

Back
Top Bottom