where to go be a dive bum for a year or so?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Staying for few months in Phuket or the Kingdom?

Just basing in Phuket, doing multi day trips from there is the thought. Was kinda worried about deciding later where to spend December with it being the holidays and also not wanting to drag all my luggage to a new place every week or so...... The list seems endless on places to go there.

Looking at the idea of moving there somewhere, some diving and a lot of just nothing.

Just basing in Phuket, doing multi day trips from there is the thought. Was kinda worried about deciding later where to spend December with it being the holidays and also not wanting to drag all my luggage to a new place every week or so...... The list seems endless on places to go there.

Looking at the idea of moving there somewhere, some diving and a lot of just nothing.
Koh Lanta is just one ferry away from Phuket. You cannot compare both places for diving. Personally, diving from Phuket is waste of money and time.

Koh Lanta is just one ferry away from Phuket. You cannot compare both places for diving. Personally, diving from Phuket is waste of money and time.

I seen that - so far away from anything dive site related. I'll spend time at Ko Tao but maybe find other places too - it's about a 25% dive trip is all. I really wasn't planning on diving in Phuket.

I seen that - so far away from anything dive site related. I'll spend time at Ko Tao but maybe find other places too - it's about a 25% dive trip is all. I really wasn't planning on diving in Phuket.
Low season in Kho Tao because of the weather. Stay away from the Full Moon Party in Koh Phangan.
There are so many places to visit in the Kingdom.

2 days of diving so far in Ko Tao. Im actually finding it really great, maybe because i went in with low expectations.
i suppose a contributing factor is that i've been diving in the afternoon 1-1 with a guide, and no one has been at any site so far other than us and one other group of 2 on the first day. maybe tomorrow's dives will reveal a different perspective, i'm just going to do some recreational dives with gen pop.

- 2 dives at chumpon pinnacle yesterday, doing a few drills and a simulated deco run
- supairin wreck and htms satykut today doing mild deco dives

i was really impressed by the sheer quantity of fish at chumpon pinnacle, in particular about a million fusiliers and plenty of barracuda. im told the viz is above average right now.

htms Satykut i thought was really cool - a dark and spooky feeling at the deepest section, some cool intact guns and other structural features, plenty of life. Supairin is a new wreck and still pretty clean so not as exiting but still an enjoyable dive.

Any chance to dive Sail Rock which to me is the best in the area? Quite a distance though.
Thinking a return in next Aug/Sept.

Any chance to dive Sail Rock which to me is the best in the area? Quite a distance though.
Thinking a return in next Aug/Sept.
they said this week's weather is too rough for sail rock, 1m seas i guess. i could ask some other shops but i also don't mind leaving it for the future

they said this week's weather is too rough for sail rock, 1m seas i guess. i could ask some other shops but i also don't mind leaving it for the future
That is the main problem with the weather this time of the yr.
Good luck.

"or so"

That dude ain't going back.

ever.

For 3k, not including flight and diving costs you could almost just continuously hop from one liveaboard to the next in Asia. Throw in a few hostels and cheap hotel rooms and ferry rides you could honestly see every part of the Philippines and Indonesia.

Or so.

"or so"

That dude ain't going back.

ever.

For 3k, not including flight and diving costs you could almost just continuously hop from one liveaboard to the next in Asia. Throw in a few hostels and cheap hotel rooms and ferry rides you could honestly see every part of the Philippines and Indonesia.

Or so.

I'm in Patong now, this was never a 100% dive trip, it's more of a get the heck away from Cozumel, find another place to live retreat jajajajajaja

Been here a week, Patong isn't my idea of home for sure but having a solid base here means I can go anywhere and not drag everything with me.

The Similan liveabord is a 2 hour bus ride away, my sinuses are frocked otherwise I'd be there next week, gonna have to wait until the week after. I think late this week is Phi Phi then Krabi area.

Trent says the whale sharks are back at Ko Chang so maybe buzz over and visit him for a week.

A friend is in Bali working as a DM, having lunch with her on Friday, she's in Phuket for a visa run, I'm sure I'll head that direction sometime very soon.

Oh that Full Moon party - you can't warn single adult males about things like that.... Met a lady on the flight from Istanbul to Bangkok, some big artist on Koh Phangan, was invited to that party, how can you say no? If I survive that, then I'll head over to Ko Tao.

I have really no first thoughts about liveaboards (I know Similan is but it 800usd for 15 dives and no other way to do it) but there is land based diving everywhere! You are right, I ain't going back..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom