where to go be a dive bum for a year or so?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just finished the following, all with Sea Bees in Thailand:

Marco Polo Liveaboard to Similans and Richelieu Rock: 4 days / 4 nights, 15 dives
Dayboat to Shark Point + Phi Phi Islands: 3 dives
Dayboat to Racha Yai: 2 dives

I would say don't bother with Racha Yai. the Phi Phi boat is not bad if you find yourself in Phuket with a free day.

Regarding the Marco Polo liveaboard:
- food was great
- was given a private cabin, always love that
- not luxury, but a comfortable boat and well set up for a diving tour
- small dive groups and everyone aboard seemed really experienced

the 3 dives at richlieu rock and the 2 at koh tachai's pinnacle were the highlights for me, very full of life with interesting terrain and some exciting currents. i wouldn't put it on the same level as komodo or palau but i still really enjoyed the trip.

The 4 day trip was an interesting length - for me it was perfect, since i'm wandering from place to place sampling this and that.
a couple of guys on the boat just did a 3 day and 4 day back to back which seems good for a more standard vacation.
that plan worked because there is seemingly no off day in the schedule, kind of amazing how the crew manage to cope with that. maybe there's a periodic day off but not after every trip?

one thing that was interesting to note is that i only saw one jacket style bcd on the whole boat. otherwise it was all bpw except one sidemount bc.

next up: one more dayboat trip out to koh tachai, then off to koh tao for a few days

... then off to koh tao for a few days
The island is nice but the diving isn't very good. This time of year the visibility is going to be pretty, pretty bad and alot of rain... and it might be a pretty choppy ferry ride to get there. Don't stuff your face too much before you go on the ferry.

The island is nice but the diving isn't very good. This time of year the visibility is going to be pretty, pretty bad and alot of rain... and it might be a pretty choppy ferry ride to get there. Don't stuff your face too much before you go on the ferry.
duly noted and thank you. i know its not the best time, just figured i'm in the area so might as well stop and check it out

duly noted and thank you. i know its not the best time, just figured i'm in the area so might as well stop and check it out
I'd go too, it's just not as nice for diving as other places. Chumphon pinnacle is probabaly the best dive site. I'd go with a dive shop in Sairee on the east side on the island as they're much closer to most dive sites and to Chumphon pinnacle.

I'd go too, it's just not as nice for diving as other places. Chumphon pinnacle is probabaly the best dive site. I'd go with a dive shop in Sairee on the east side on the island as they're much closer to most dive sites and to Chumphon pinnacle.
Does it clear up and calm down in December? I'm in Phuket in like 5 days, staying for a few months with zero plans.

Does it clear up and calm down in December? I'm in Phuket in like 5 days, staying for a few months with zero plans.
AFAIK the west coast has an earlier rainy season so it should be Ok there I guess. The golf side is still going to be murky in December.

I'm doing the same thing, going to be a dive bum for 3 years, but I'm keeping the location secrete. I can't handle tourists.

I'm doing the same thing, going to be a dive bum for 3 years, but I'm keeping the location secrete. I can't handle tourists.
Does that imply you are a tourist attraction?

Staying for few months in Phuket or the Kingdom?
Koh Lanta and then Koh Lipe is much better option than Phuket. BTW, Langkawi(Malaysia) is just another ferry away from Lipe.

Dec onward is the best time to visit the North including Laos which is just a short bus ride from Chiang Rai(3hrs north of Chiang Mai).
Places that most dive/ski bum go are usually packed with tourists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom