where to go be a dive bum for a year or so?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ChuckP
1. You are better off to stay at Phuket Old Town where majority of tourists never venture into it. Couple of cheap and cheerful hotels(with good WiFi) are situated near the T1 bus terminal. T2 is a short bus(converted truck) ride(B15.00) away. You can either take the van from T1 to Krabi(town) or bus from T2.
2. I believe Lomprayah has a office in Phuket Old Town and transfer to those three islands in Gulf of Siam is available. Please check.
3. Personally I prefer Koh Lanta than Phi Phi. And if you do make it to Koh Lanta then you must dive Hin Daeng/Muang.
4. Plenty of interesting places to visit in southern Thailand.
5. Visa run? Overland trip to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Best time to visit Laos at this time of yr ie. after rainy season. Ferry from Koh Chang to Cambodia.

Enjoy Thailand.

I booked myself on the white pearl maldives liveaboard for the 22nd. flying out tomorrow since i've run out of thailand visa. this is probably a minor mistake, but i have some reading i want to do anyway.

looking at different options, the white pearl seems to be new and really fancy. decided to roll the dice on it. strangely, seemed like no one had really booked for the 22nd (most every cabin available still) so i half expected them to tell me it's canceled, but they didn't. if this was my one vacation for the year i'd be nervous but as it is i'm fine with whatever happens. maybe just bad info online, not sure.

Went to Phi Phi and opted for the room with a view - omg - 220 steps up to my room!!! Never again, just stay at sea level!!

I did dive Koh Haa, Hin Baba first day and Kings Cruiser, Sharkless Point and Mushroom Island the second day.

Maybe living in Cozumel spoiled me but visibility the firsst day was maybe 50' - at Kings Cruiser it was maybe 10'. Mushroom Island was fantastic though......

That hotel room way up in the sky and the visibility turned me off and I headed back to Patong. Hopefully Similans next week.......

You might consider New Zealand. The people are friendly and they speak English. You get NZ$1.67 for each US$.
The Poor Knights islands is rated one of the top ten dive spots in the world.

just got off the white pearl (maldives). some notes here:

starting to return to the usa by heading west little by little. currently in abu dhabi. planning to stop in egypt for a while although not sure if i'll do much diving given the season

Staying at Camel Dive Club in Sharm el Sheikh and doing a few dives, it has been ok so far. water temps 26-27 which is fine. it does get cold on the boat after, but a towel and a jacket are enough to solve that.
Did a thislegorm day via cattleboat. it was still cool just to see the site. will have to come back and do a proper Red Sea liveaboard.
Does anyone know a great breakfast place here by the way?

Staying at Camel Dive Club in Sharm el Sheikh and doing a few dives, it has been ok so far. water temps 26-27 which is fine. it does get cold on the boat after, but a towel and a jacket are enough to solve that.
Did a thislegorm day via cattleboat. it was still cool just to see the site. will have to come back and do a proper Red Sea liveaboard.
Does anyone know a great breakfast place here by the way?
I've a dive buddy living in Istanbul and Camel Dive Club is her easy go-to spot! Are you still there? Have you found a breakfast spot? I'm not sure if she's actually ventured off the resort for breakfast but I can ask, if you'd like. Let me know.

I've a dive buddy living in Istanbul and Camel Dive Club is her easy go-to spot! Are you still there? Have you found a breakfast spot? I'm not sure if she's actually ventured off the resort for breakfast but I can ask, if you'd like. Let me know.
thanks so much, I've moved on already
(came to spain for the holidays, not diving but hanging out with friends)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom