Is a 7mm bootie necessary for Souther California water...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally, if you are prone to getting cold I would say the thicker booties, and gloves would be a good idea. If you are the type that never seems to get cold then thinner booties and gloves will be fine. I have used thinner gloves and booties, then got thicker ones, and finally just went dry, including dry gloves.

Mark Vlahos

My 7mm booties are the equivalent of 2mm by now and I don't have a problem with cold feet (just ask the ladies). It would be highly dependent on your own response to the cold. I generally use 7mm booties, but wear them until they fall apart.

scuba_moron:
(7mm boots for SoCal) or can I get away with thinner insulation?

No. You will need 7mm 80% of the time.

Dave

Everybody is pretty spot on here. It really boils down to your tolerance for cold. I'm more than comfortable year around in my 3mm high top boots. I head back to my "roots" and dive Puget Sound every so often and even there am more than comfortable. One of my diving partners on the other hand wears her 6mm boots in Cayman! She's the type of person who wears her Ugg boots around S. California while I'm in flip flops.

Point is, go for comfort. Your feet are easily acclimated to temperature. Find the boot you feel is comfy on your feet and enjoy your dives!

I've worn 7mm booties everywhere abroad ranging from 18c to 30c and never been too hot. Don't see the point of getting thinner boots and the 7mms will work everywhere.

Thanks for everyone's feed back. I have a good tolerance for cold weather. There's a sale here for both 5mm and 7mm. I'll settle on which ever one fits me better.

I mainly dive cold PA quarries. I use a 7 mil Farmer John with 5 mil hood, gloves, and boots. My feet don't get cold. We're usually diving in about 45 degrees on the bottom.

I also wear 7mm boots wherever i dive, and my feet never get too hot, but it's possible they could get to cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom