TransPac weight pocket question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curiousgeorgie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought a TransPac with the 16 lb weight pockets. I mounted the weight pockets over the stabilizing plates and the pockets now sit directly below (waist high) where my armpits are. When I try to remove the weights to practice ditching, I find it very awkward to reach them and pull them up and out. Feels like I have to pull them up into my armpits before releasing them.

Is it okay to mount the weight pockets upside down? It feels much easier to release the weight this way if I ever had to.

It has small buckles that should be able hold the weight in and velcro. In the upright position, the buckles can be left undone for a quicker release. In the upside down position, the buckles would have to remain secured.

I used to unbucle mine for easier release but since I bought steel tanks I dont have to worry about weights anymore. I wouldnt use them upside down thought.

curiousgeorgie:
I just bought a TransPac with the 16 lb weight pockets. I mounted the weight pockets over the stabilizing plates and the pockets now sit directly below (waist high) where my armpits are. When I try to remove the weights to practice ditching, I find it very awkward to reach them and pull them up and out. Feels like I have to pull them up into my armpits before releasing them.

Is it okay to mount the weight pockets upside down? It feels much easier to release the weight this way if I ever had to.

Two suggestions:
Make sure that the pockets are correct as far as left and right - there is a difference.

For ditching, after pulling the red handles up to free the velcro, it maybe easier to reach across with the opposite hand to pull out of the pocket.

Hi,

Good question; thanks for asking. Sounds like you have already been given some good suggestions. As tedwhiteva mentioned, make sure the pockets are mounted "left" and "right"...that should bring them to a slight forward angle, making it easier to grab up and forward.

Second, unless you need the pockets over the plates for trim reasons, you can try placing them just forward of the plates and see if that helps.

The pockets are not designed to be worn upside down, however that certainly doesn't mean they might not work that way. Just be certain that in an emergency, no matter what the pocket orientation, you can dump quickly.

Let us know what you come up with and what works best for you.

Cheers,
Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom