Tanks Upside down? why not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor

Contributor
Reaction score
Why do we wear our tanks with the valve at the top behind our heads? :confused:

This was mentioned recently and it got me thinking.
The pro's for having the valves low down behind your back
Ease of access
Better hose routing
Less chance of entanglement
Easier to recover a dropped reg

The con's
More exposed to damage on a boat?

Any thoughts

Would be an awkward run of the hose and a much loger hose.

Take of your BC and have to immediately flip it up side down would be a hassle.

Youde have to hold a buddies valve while assisting him putting on his BC

Would be hard to self don your BC while you sit it on a hard surface.

Are you trolling a bit ?

Because when you got back aboard the dive boat and plopped down on the seat, you'd break off your first stage regulator and take off into the stratosphere like Rocket Man ! ! !

the K

victor:
Why do we wear our tanks with the valve at the top behind our heads? :confused:

This was mentioned recently and it got me thinking.
The pro's for having the valves low down behind your back
Ease of access

On the contrary, I find the valves easier to reach with them begind my head. they also easier for my buddy to see and reach.
Better hose routing

I've seen several upsidedown rigs and I think the hose routing is a nightmare.
Less chance of entanglement

How so?
Easier to recover a dropped reg
What really makes reg recovery easy is wearing a necklaced backup right under your chin and using a primary on a long hose...if you do drop it, it'll be hanging right off your right shoulder.
The con's
More exposed to damage on a boat?

so you put cages over the valves making them that much harder to access.
Any thoughts

Some divers do it that way and others have thought about it. Most choose not to because they find that it isn't really better.

My instructor has a set of doubles upside down with a custom built cage to be able to set them down. The reason for it is not hose routing or anything like that, but because he has had some shoulder problems in the past and can't reach his valves behind his head very easily.

Reach
Most people can reach much more comfortably behind the small of their back than they can behind their shoulder blades, even more so when they are wearing 7mm of neoprene or a drysuit, and if they have to use both hands at the same time. It's as easy for your buddy either way up.

Hose routing,
Yes the hoses have to be slightly longer for the run up under your arm, however they are kept naturally close to your body and much less likely to get caught on an obstruction. If they do get caught then they are in front of you so you can see what is happening and how to resolve it. The exception to this is the normal inflator which would have a worse run. However there is no reason why your inflator must come over your left shoulder it could, just as easily come round your waist, resolving that problem. With this routing you would be able to see your first stage by just pushing your rig slightly to one side and looking under your arm.

Entanglement
You are normally swimming forwards, and your first stage’s act as a set of hooks to entrap you when you run into an obstruction. With the tank upside down there is nothing for the entanglement to catch on when you just reversing backwards, it just slips of the end of the tank. Yes I know some people swim backwards sometimes but that is the exception.

Reg Recovery
Why would your long hose be hanging off your right shoulder? Much more likely that it has fallen behind you, caught under your first stage and hanging halfway down your left side, trapped under your wing. Why because that’s where Murphy decided to put it when he decided to screw your dive up. :rofl3:

Upside down tanks are, without a doubt, more liable to damage when you are putting your gear on and that may be the main reason. However I am beginning to think this is like din versus clamp, everyone knows din is better but momentum keeps the clamp going.

No problem....if you want that configuration, just stand on your head in the corner, don your tank/BC(the conventional way), & waa-laa the valve is @ the 'bottom'......Be careful though, blood can rush to your brain if that position is maintained for any period of time.....

Me?, I'll stay with what I've got..(old habit I guess)....

I, too, have had shoulder problems in the past and find it difficult to reach my valves if they are behind my head. For that reason, I place my pony bottle only upside-down for easy access to the valve. One does have to be careful landing on the swim step and taking the tank off, but if the pony is mounted high enough so it's valve with reg is above the primary's tank's boot if works pretty well.

Bubble Junky:
Really ?

It a lot easier to put equipment on when you can stand the tank up.
Put a valve protector on it and you can stand it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom