Aerogel... interesting possibilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm new to scuba as a hobby, I've been building custom cars for several years. I first heard about this stuff around 6 years ago. It was used in some space probe to capture particles while flying through a comet tail. I was curious about the possibilities as a sound barrier for lower interior sound levels. Also, talk about the ultimate exhaust wrap and heat shield material. I watched a video that took a 1/2 inch thick piece with a thermometer resting on the top. They took a torch to the bottom for 2 minutes and showed no temperature increase down to the thousandths. I was able to get my hands on a piece in solid form, (most end user pieces are produced with other additives to give a flexible form). It is crazy to handle being so light. Once more oems start using the stuff in different apps, it will become more available to the hobbyist. I can't wait to buy sheets of the stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom