What is the best drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one I'm diving in.
Pick what one wants to do. Something appropriate for a warm water diver, clear, is unlikely to cut it for 34F and kind of nasty.
Like cars -- there are some beautiful sports coupes that aren't worth a darn if I want to go on rutted gravel roads with a load of lumber.
Some people swear by their tri-lams, while I like the fit of my compressed neoprene suit, and it seems a bit more zebra mussel resistant. My neoprene, on the other hand, would be terrible in Florida -- I'd keel over due to heat.

One that fits. One that's comfortable. One that's dry. One that will last more than a few dives. And also mine.

There a lot of threads on this topic, so many that doing a search can be a bit overwhelming. Here's summary of my thoughts cut from another thread:

Thal:
Crushed, laminate and vulcanized suits have no inherent insulative properties so they are totally depended upon underwear and gas trapped in the suit for insulation. As you descend you add gas to the suit and that keeps both buoyancy and thermal characterizes constant

Uncrushed neoprene (and please understand that there is a HUGE difference between the neoprene many suit manufacturers use and quality Rubatex, in terms of compression) will crush with depth, but not 1/2 at 33 foot, 1/4 at 99 ft, etc. As is does, you must introduce gas into the suit to maintain neutral buoyancy, just as with a membrane suit, and that keeps the insulation about the same, so I think that viewed from the outer cover of the suit in the argument about needing more weight with neoprene and losing the insulation at depth is a bit specious.

Which is best? I don't really know. I've had Unisuits, Jetsuits, Vikings, DUIs, Gates, O’Neil’s and a Polaris (Rubatex suit from a small Santa Cruz custom house) over the years. I currently have the Polaris which I prefer for shore diving, a Viking for polluted water (nothing else can really be disinfected) and a DUI that is a joy for boat diving. I use an old set of Unisuit woolies under the Polaris and a ripstop/holowfill/synthetic pile (the blue and gray, kinda baggy ski-suit like stuff) set of Viking underwear under the Viking and the DUI.

To be more accurate, I have only owned my current suit. Its a DUI TLS350.
It works great, keeps me warm and dry. Thats exactly what I bought it for.
You will get as many answers as there are suit and diver combos.
My suggestion, go rent a few and see what you like before buying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom