used equipment recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbnole

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I m just getting back ito diving after being out of it for over ten years. I want to purchase a good set of gear (reg., octo., gauges, bc) but I am on a very limited budget. Because of that I am looking for recommendations on the best used gear that is maybe several years old but can still be serviced and is of good quality. Any particular regs that may meet my needs? I just see a ton of used gear out there, but I don't want to get stuck with somthing that is not safe or cannot be serviced.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The used gear market is not a good place for a new diver to be alone.

Remember that any used regulator set purchased from a private party should go in for a service or at least inspection before you trust it. That can add some really $$ to your bargain, especially if there are surprises in there.

If you can strike up a relationship with a seasoned gear savvy diver that can be a big plus.

Many shops sell their rental/training equipment periodically to upgrade and these are usually sold serviced and ready to go. That's a safe enough option on your own.

As long as the brand in question has a local servicing dealer I would be flexible on the brand for a used purchase.

Pete

caveat emptor, Used equipment is a bargain! but BE sure you know what you are doing!! Buying used equipment is like diving by yourself in a wreck you've never seen before, you can do it, but its not very safe!!!

I bought all of my stuff used, and had it checked out by a competent dive shop....in every single case where it was as described, there was no problem, EXCEPT the fins that had the bottoms cut out, the shot AIR2 on the Blackhawk bought here, the free flowing oceanic stage 2, and the mask with enough scratches you could not see out of....but even after throwing away the junk, fixing the problems and replacing hoses, parts etc. I was still in it for a lot less than new....on my spousal side though, I bought EVERYTHING new.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom