Good gear for beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys, since I found my way here, I thought I might post what gear I purchased for use once I hit the pool and ocean (Open Water student) and see what I may have to potential return/exchange and what I can keep...still haven't bought a wet suit, wetsuit gloves, wetsuit hoodie, or a tank yet, so any suggestions on those would be great, thanks! Comments, tips, advice, etc. will be welcome. :)

Aqua Lung Impulse 3 snorkel
Edge Panoramic Mask
Seasoft Titanium Stealth boots
ScubaPro Twin Jet Max split-fins
VEO 100 Nitrox dive computer
Oceanic Excursion BC
ScubaPro Air XS octopus
Aqua Lung Titan regulator

The only thing on your list I can comment upon is the Aqualung Titan, which was the regulator I bought when I got certified, and I still think that was a very good, cost-effective choice. I've hauled that regulator all over the world, and I've dived it within the entire range of recreational depths, and it has worked very well and is very pleasant to breathe. That's definitely a good choice.

Don't waste your money on a 40 dollar snorkel. You'll soon want rid of it anyway. Get a good pocket snorkel that you can fold up and stow when you are diving. Sherwood, Oceanic, and I believe Aqualung make them. The impulse is a big honker(not as big as the old ones but a beacon nonetheless that somebody saw you coming when they sold it to you. I'd also upgrade to the veo 180 or 250 as well. The 100 is nice for the price but I'd just go with the little more advanced unit. I have a 200 and after nearly 200 dives and 180 hours in the pool I've only had to change the batts. The Titan is a good choice but why not mate it with a standard Aqualung octo as well. Not that the scubapro is a poor choice but from a service issue it'd be alot easier if the tech did not have to use parts from two different lines. A conventional octo would also be a better choice if for some reason you could not dive your bc and had to rent. Maybe I'm missing something but I could not find the XS on their site. Is it the AIR two? If so I'd strongly recommend against it and any inflator octo set up. I know the Atomic is supposed to be a great unit but I prefer a standard octo. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with your choices as I won't get into the split vs paddle fins thing here.

Hey guys, since I found my way here, I thought I might post what gear I purchased for use once I hit the pool and ocean (Open Water student) and see what I may have to potential return/exchange and what I can keep...still haven't bought a wet suit, wetsuit gloves, wetsuit hoodie, or a tank yet, so any suggestions on those would be great, thanks! Comments, tips, advice, etc. will be welcome. :)

Aqua Lung Impulse 3 snorkel

After a few dives you will probably leave the snork in the dive bag like most divers so best to get a cheap one or one of the folding ones you can put in a pocket when not needed.

Edge Panoramic Mask

For mask the fit is most important by far. Also low volume is a plus (easier to clear), forget any gimmicks and a clear lens is best. Some people prefer black mask skirts (less interference), other like clear skirts (better side visibility, movement detection).

Seasoft Titanium Stealth boots

As long as they fit your feet and fins.

ScubaPro Twin Jet Max split-fins

Dunno. When I was new I bought splits too because they were best for the flutter kick which was the only kick I was taught. Later I learned about frog, back and other kicks and sold the splits, bought jetfins. See the kicks here: Dive Tek Images

The guy on those video clips is using regular scubapro jetfins (non-split) because they are better for those types of kicks, which many divers prefer.

However for split fins (which many prefer) the twin jet max should be a fine choice.

VEO 100 Nitrox dive computer

Sounds good as long as it's a wrist unit. Oceanic/Aeris have a good algorithm, not too conservative. User-replaceable batteries too. And nitrox is important.

Oceanic Excursion BC

Don't know this BC. I use backplates and wings. Check them out.

ScubaPro Air XS octopus
Aqua Lung Titan regulator

Can't comment, but as long as you can get them serviced they should be fine. Just make sure the hose lengths are to your liking.

For wetsuit, gloves, hood just get ones that fit really well in whatever thickness you need. Don't worry about the brand. Make sure they are snug but not restrictive to movement. No loose spaces. And remember that they loosen up over time.

Don't know much about tanks since I just rent whatever is available. I prefer DIN valves though (but I have DIN regs to go with them).

Good luck.

Seems all that we're dinging you on is the snorkel, unlike my compatriots the only times I've ever been without a snorkel is when I was living in an underwater habitat and was not allowed to surface without many hours of decompression. Otherwise I'm never without my snorkel, but I think that the fancy snorkels, with valves or that fold are a big waste of money, get a simple J tube that's comfortable in your mouth and put it your mask strap where god intended it to be.

Why do some folks always assume that everyone gets rid of the snorkel? I love my snorkel. A lot of us on the board do. Roll your eyes if you want- I am much more comfortable breathing through my snorkel at the surface than I am through my reg. And when I'm swimming out to our descent spot at the start of a dive, I wouldn't want to waste my air. And they come in handy in the ocean. All kinds of reasons- you'll find you either like it or you won't. But don't just assume that "real divers" don't wear snorkels. I think I paid $30 for mine- its a semi dry. I don't dive in caves- but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

No wait- I was at home.

As a new diver, you're not likely to notice the difference between mediocre (but safe and functional) and awesome gear. I have almost all used gear from my LDS rental stock. I'm just now- after 4 years diving and 104 dives, getting ready to buy up. As long as your BC and octo are good and reliable, the rest is pretty much (IMO- I'm sure someone else will argue with me :D) personal preference. If you're buying new, that might be a different story. My BC cost me all of $75- if I were spending $425, I'd be a little more picky.

I've been diving Avantis (fins) instead of Avanti Quatros all these years and I think I'm just now to the point where I might get some use out of the Quatros. Or something else. But they cost me $70 and they work just fine. And, to be honest, there really isn't anywhere I need to get to in a hurry.

Seems all that we're dinging you on is the snorkel, unlike my compatriots the only times I've ever been without a snorkel is when I was living in an underwater habitat and was not allowed to surface without many hours of decompression. Otherwise I'm never without my snorkel, but I think that the fancy snorkels, with valves or that fold are a big waste of money, get a simple J tube that's comfortable in your mouth and put it your mask strap where god intended it to be.

Hi T- I spent a lot of time not posting that post- so yours wasn't here when I started. Sorry to echo your sentiment on the snorkel.

Hi T- I spent a lot of time not posting that post- so yours wasn't here when I started. Sorry to echo your sentiment on the snorkel.
Hi TG - I'm honored.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's probably the Air 2 if the Air XS isn't listed on there, hangon....yeah I checked, ScubaPro Air 2. The only real reason I got a single-hose setup instead of the traditional octopus is because it eliminates a hose so it's a more streamlined setup, which appeals to me. I understand that if I had to rent some gear, it might not be compatible with them, but I can't think of a situation where I would suddenly be without my gear but still be able to dive...if that happens, it probably means my gear was stolen, and I'll be too busy chasing the person down with the intent to cause bodily harm to be thinking about diving. :)

I actually got the snorkel mainly because our instructor told us to forget about all that stuff about not needing a snorkel and that it actually does come in handy. Now, granted everyone's opinion is different, but I do plan to do a lot of beach dives where I'm going to have to swim out a bit, and I'd rather not be wasting tank air when I could just use a snorkel. I got the flex-fit mainly because I don't want the mouthpiece in my face and bothering me when I'm not using it.

I'll take a look at maybe upgrading to the VEO-180 or 250 after a bit, but I'm sure those models are more money, and all I could really afford was the 100...it's not a wrist unit though, it's connected to the octopus. Hopefully this won't be too much of a PITA, but all the wrist units I looked at were pretty expensive, so.

I can't wait to get in the damn water already though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom