Best Gear of 07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I get all these magazine free lately. Today comes SCUBA DIVUNG. Ok, I read it and it has an artical about the Best Gear of 07----Hmmmmmm.

Well according to Scuba Diving Magazine the best gear is:

1) An aluminum 80
2) Aeries Atomos Poodle jacket and Mares Icon poodle jacket
3) Atomic regulators and Mares Abyss
4) Aeries computers
5) Oceanic data mask
6) Ocean Viper and Apollo fins
7) UK dive lights
8) SPARE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What gives--I thought everybody dove BP/wings in DIR configuration and it was unanimous that the Spare Air was bad--bad--bad.

Why do these scuba rags claim "the best" and who told them it was "the best."

N

It doesn't make any sense to me either. I'm guessing that they don't have people that keep track of all the discussions on the SB.

I get all these magazine free lately. Today comes SCUBA DIVUNG. Ok, I read it and it has an artical about the Best Gear of 07----Hmmmmmm...........Why do these scuba rags claim "the best" and who told them it was "the best." N

Just look for the biggest and most frequent ads $$$.

LOL, I was thumbing through my Scuba Diving mag at work today and saw the same crap. I'm guessing they are aiming at the uneducated diver. W/o scubaboard many people would make the mistake of reading that magazine and going, "they say in scuba diving mag that it's the best, so it must be!"

Are you sure this wasn't the "Worst Gear Ever" article?

I think I'll run out to my LDS & buy two of each of the above mentioned.:rofl3:

Well, so I am not the only one who notices the huge disparity in equipemnt (not to mention technique) that exists between internet world and magazine world. Some of the choices are good but the Spare Air--I nearly choked.

Do you think that a husband and wife might be sitting at the table and the husband goes, "hey honey, Mares just came out with a cool BC called the Morphous (or some crap like that) and we just gotta get a couple of them!" and the wife goes, "sweety, we sure ought to get us some Spare Airs because Scuba Diving recommends them." Of course, they just graduated from an intense afternoon long PadI scuba course and their nine month old nearly identical and used twice BC is not even broken in good yet and for all purposes is the same thing--why????

Who in the nether world buys this stuff?

N

I still can't believe the fundamental errors in form and technique in these magazines (I was reading mine today as well).

How many pictures are octo's and consoles just dangling? HOLY CRAP PEOPLE!

When was the last time you read an article that was 100% accurate? Magazines, newspapers, television and virtually all revenue generating medias pander to an audience to which the advertisers pay to get in front of.

Seasoned divers know the only reason anyone reads dive magazines is to hopefully see an article on a dive site they have been to or want to go to some day. Many also read the product reviews to hopefully get some validation on the gear they own. No one wants to read that the fins you just bought are no damn good.

We also like the models!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom