redundat depth gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rice

Reaction score
how many of you dive with both a dive computer and an analog depth gauge? I have a wrist mounted computer and am deciding on weather to buy a single SPG or a combo with a depth gausge also. I already have a wrist mounted compass.

I noticed that the GUE website says divers only need a pressure gauge. Do they recommend redundant bottom timers?
thanks,
Rice

I always dive with two computers, I've been hoseless for 4 years and I love it.
I always check one computer against the other. There is a margin of saftey in redundancey:)

Caymaniac

not sure if i covered all your questions but here's what i do and why ...

1) for depth gauge i use 2 (vyper, D3) . used to only have one but it failed on me at ~ 70 feet.

2) for bottom timer i have two (vyper, D3). prior to getting the D3, my back-up (?) timer was a watch - and it's not really a back-up since i use it to time my ascend (the Vyper does not show 'seconds')

3) i believe what GUE meant is stick with only an SPG on your HP hose, but the depth gauge should go on your wrist (less danglies)

I've decided to use an analog pressure/depth gauge for back-up reasons. I dive with 2 computers, one for back-up, and guess we need a "last resort". Personal'y I think we get too caught up in the multible redundancy. Some people are spending thousands of dollars to do simple, non-tech, dives. Get Real. Sure folks will balk but stand back and look at the basic dive profile of most recreational divers, not that complex.
Keep perspective. It should not be that expensive to enjoy something thousands of others have enjoyed in the past using far less than we have at our service today.

I generally use a computer and an Aqualand watch as depth gauges.
Both are digital, however.
Rick

I have a suunto stinger and an uwatec dive timer. Both give depth and time. I have one on each wrist so either is easy to read whatever I am doing.

I went to a mini SPG only for a console after I got a wrist mounted computer to reduce my rig down to the least equipment required. Every thing worked great until I jumped off a boat in Klein Bonaire and noticed my computer was not working. As I was using almost 40% nitrox, needless to say, I stayed a little swallower than the divemaster who was running an 80' profile.

After that, I got a loose depth gauge off ebay for $20 and keep it in my pocket for just such occasions (I also got a new computer)

This actually came up recently in the GUE DIR Fundamentals ITC/IE. There is no need to wear two gauges. If you wear two gauges and they don't agree, how do you know which one failed? Your buddy has your backup depth gauge and bottom timer.

caymaniac once bubbled...
I always dive with two computers, I've been hoseless for 4 years and I love it.
I always check one computer against the other. There is a margin of saftey in redundancey:)

Caymaniac

dan, when my depth gauge failed, it failed miserably (showing < 20 feet when we were much deeper).

so, if one gauge failed miserably wouldn't you kinda know ? i.e. one shows 20', the other say 75' which is where you should be based on yr dive plan, etc ?

if it fails just a little bit - say by 10 feet or so (and you're > 50' say), how would you know without constantly checking your buddy's depth gauge (maybe i should be doing this anyway :confused: ).

help ! now i'm worried :( .

That would probably be obvious. However, why not go to your buddy as the backup in this case. The odds that both fail are remote. If you are near a gas change depth and they read different, which do you trust? I would think that could be bad near the O2 stop. All you do is invite confusion.

lanun once bubbled...
dan, when my depth gauge failed, it failed miserably (showing < 20 feet when we were much deeper).

so, if one gauge failed miserably wouldn't you kinda know ? i.e. one shows 20', the other say 75' which is where you should be based on yr dive plan, etc ?

if it fails just a little bit - say by 10 feet or so (and you're > 50' say), how would you know without constantly checking your buddy's depth gauge (maybe i should be doing this anyway :confused: ).

help ! now i'm worried :( .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom