Point me to some wrecks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any wrecks in Florida that have an interesting history behind them? Like U 352 or City of Washington? Most of the wrecks that I read about were deliberately sunk as reefs. If anyone can point out some wrecks that are REAL wrecks with a saga to tell, Id be grateful.

Do you have a specific area of the world in mind?
I can think of the Benwood in the middle keys to start with. If I am not mistaken she sank on a reef after a collision with another vessel during WW2. She was then used for target practice ( I think)by the US military.Then there are always the ghost fleets in the Pacific aroundd Bimini,Kwajelein etc. The Doria comes to mind also.I think there are afew other deep wrecks in the lower Keys that were sunk by the military as target vessels.

Here's a couple to get you started.

Bayronto - Sarasota (100')
Fantastico - Fort Myers (115')
Hydro Atlantic - Boca Raton (170')
Baja California - Marco Island (120')
Munger T. Ball (aka the Oil Wreck) - Marco Island (120')
Gulf America - Jacksonville (65')

An excellent resource for Florida wreck diving is a book written by Mike Barnette titled Ship Wrecks of the Sunshine State and available at AUE: ASSOCIATION OF UNDERWATER EXPLORERS Happy wrecking :)

Also, what depth range are you seeking? There are a few interesting one's off the Southeast Florida coast and the Keys area, but they are beyond sport diving limits.

Any wrecks that have an interesting history behind them? Like U 352 or City of Washington? Most of the wrecks that I read about were deliberately sunk as reefs. If anyone can point out some wrecks that are REAL wrecks with a saga to tell, Id be grateful.

Linda Reeves wrote a book about the SS Inchulva, which was lost just off of Delray Beach in a hurricane in the early 1900's (I think). She has helped set up an exhibit at the nature center nearby, where you can also probably find her book. They do organized snorkeling trips out there every once in a while.

A little farther North, off the beach of Manalapan, there is another wreck, the SS Lofthus, which was a three masted sailing barq. It was lost in a storm as well, in 1898 (again, I think). It was carrying a load of lumber, some of which is still around in the local eateries and some of the old homes. MARC established the site as an archaeological preserve not too long ago. You can probably find their write up about it on their website, but I'm typing this while I'm on the phone with my GF and I'm getting in trouble for not paying attention, so you'll have to search it yourself, sorry, and have fun!

Do you have a specific area of the world in mind?
I can think of the Benwood in the middle keys to start with. If I am not mistaken she sank on a reef after a collision with another vessel during WW2. She was then used for target practice ( I think)by the US military.Then there are always the ghost fleets in the Pacific aroundd Bimini,Kwajelein etc. The Doria comes to mind also.I think there are afew other deep wrecks in the lower Keys that were sunk by the military as target vessels.

Area of the world? Florida of course! Sorry I should mention it above too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom