Jackson Blue 3-15-8 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I guess I watched an old weather report, but I thought Saturday was supposed to be sunny and hot(up to 80F), surely didn't seem that way that morning as I left for FL. Caught some sprinkles, and drove through lots of fog. I checked in at the Sheriff's Dept and made it to the park by 8AM, thirty minutes early(?!??). It was friggin windy out. The Mill Pond was choppy, sporting 1' seas! There was only one other vehicle onsite. Cwick came out shortly after, and we started gearing up. His tanks were down quite a bit despite having them filled after our dives several weeks ago, so he went up to Edd's to fill back up. The boil on the pond was larger than two weeks ago. After a quick fill, we started gearing up and getting ready for our dive. Dive_Aholic and his wife showed up shortly afterwards with a cavern class including Dark Eternal and Shagman from here on ScubaBoard. I'm suprised Shagman didn't get seasick out on the pond as choppy as it was after reading of his adventure a couple weeks ago on the Gulf - LOL! :D Kidding of course.

Jackson765.jpg

Cwick and I hit the water with the basic intention of just running right up the goldline. Flow has been up so we weren't expecting to get far on 1/6ths gas pressure. I ran a primary from OW and hooked it to the gold where cwick took the lead to set the pace. The flow seemed to me to be as strong as it was two weeks ago, maybe slightly stronger. We dropped down the chimney and cwick called the dive pretty quickly after getting a CO2 headache. The flow served as our transportation back to the cavern for our safety stop. Visibility seemed to be around 40-50' to me, more than enough for enjoyable dives. I hit 91' for a total time of 26 minutes. We left the primary in place for our second dive.

Took a little break to better assess the flow and were in the water 27 minutes after our first dive. With the primary already set, and cwick again in the lead to set a pace, we made quicker work through the cavern and down the chimney. cwick noticably chose better areas of the cave to swim through in order to stay out of the full force of the flow and our pace was slower so there was no over exertion this time around. We made it to the 2nd breakdown before the dive was called on 1/6ths, and again we drifted back out. Once we came up the chimney, I signalled for cwick to take the lead(so I could reel the primary in) and he misunderstood me, broke out a spool, and set off down the opposite side of the cavern until his line was all deployed. At that point we turned and he spooled back up. Made for a nice little excursion to get a bit more bottom time out of the dive - easily made up for the previous short dive! Hit 94' with a total dive time of 51 minutes. On surfacing a water snake swam between us and scared the ever living bajesus out of me. :rofl3: I could have reached out and grabbed the thing. It wasn't a moccassin, but I didn't know that as it seemingly swam right at me.

I hung out for a bit and then decided to take off to check out a few of the local boat launches. Apparently there's an subterrainian cave in the area that acts as a home to giant red eyed monsters. I want to check it out and need a launching point. :14:

UpDownHollis776.jpg

278Bridge767.jpg

BeachAccess787.jpg

I'm jealous!

Glad to hear you had a good pair of dives. From the pics the water level looks pretty high too!

It was nice to meet the both of you out there!

We finished up our cavern class with three dives throughout the day. I dont have anything to compare the flow too, but it was pretty significant! Made for interesting dives to say the least.

Rob and Jen teach a great class, it was very informative, challenging and tons of fun! I cant wait to get back to Florida (home in Texas now) to get some dives in the local caverns. Hopefully before too long as I work on my skills I can move on to basic cave. Overall it was a great day of diving!

I'm jealous!

Glad to hear you had a good pair of dives. From the pics the water level looks pretty high too!

Waterlevels are up to the top of the retaining wall at the park.

It was nice to meet the both of you out there!

We finished up our cavern class with three dives throughout the day. I dont have anything to compare the flow too, but it was pretty significant! Made for interesting dives to say the least.

Congratulations on finishing cavern, its only the beginning though! :D With a bit of luck, more of the local caverns will be divable next time you come into town.

Yeah, I saw the same report - 82 degrees and sunny. Boy, did they get that one wrong! It was better than the day before at Vortex - 70 and rainy. But Dark Eternal (glad to see you made it home okay) and Shagman both stuck it out in their 5mm suits despite the conditions. Shagman even joined us on a night dive at Vortex on Friday! Congratulations to both of you for doing a great job in the course!

As for JB, flow is definitely up. Jenn & I did a dive after the cavern class was done and just past the 2nd breakdown you can't even hold position while finning your butt off. Finding a hand hold is definitely necessary. We tried to find the low flow areas there without much luck. We did manage to find some cover at times, but then it got worse to the left of the 1st T. We got tired of fighting the flow and after a 34 minute penetration to 1000' (something that normally takes us less than 20 minutes), we made it back to our deco bottles in 19 minutes...without finning! I can't wait until we get the scooters we just bought.

I'm suprised Shagman didn't get seasick out on the pond as choppy as it was after reading of his adventure a couple weeks ago on the Gulf - LOL! :D Kidding of course.

Dude, that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the whitecapping! You're looking at somebody who has gotten sea-sick at a Pensacola Beach rubble dive!!!

The Cavern class was killer, both in a good and a bad way, I was miserable on Sunday from a combination of slight sunburn, lack of sleep from camping Friday night and exhaustion. Rob's a great instructor, and I will definitely be doing Basic with him this fall or next spring, when I'm a little more profecient with reels and my bouyancy/trim.

Good to see you Mat, hope we can meet up, and I'll see if I can make spring-springfest, no promises tho, I just took a managerial job last week, so overnight trips might not be happening too often.

No problem man, let me know when you want to hit the caverns - I'm not too stuck up to dive the daylight zones :) Hell, I'll even show you some other good ones if you want to drag a boat out :D

You tell me the weekend, and I'll be there, boat and all. Heck, I wouldn't mind a tour of the pond, especially with fast, friendly air-fills right on the shore :)

I'd be up for another "unknown exploration" weekend too, if you've got that on the mind (pics above heh).

Great report and pics. It wont be long til I can join you there.

... You're looking at somebody who has gotten sea-sick at a Pensacola Beach rubble dive!!!...

SBM got me seasick on the Whiskey wreck (the MacDonald's breakfast might have helped too) :rofl3:.

Glad to hear you still remember us swimmers in the light SBM. Now we have to clear some water somewhere to find a place to dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom