Clark Hill/Lake Thurmond, Augusta, GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Four of us dove today. 1:03 with max depth of 83'. Water temp of 53 degrees. Vis was down today given the gosh awful weather yesterday - high winds, tornados, supercells, bad hair day, etc. We had about 4-6' down to 75' then 8-10'. Lake is still down about 11'. We had divers with various tank sizes. There were many fishmen out today -gosh don't they know there are no fish 15' from shore here??? then again maybe they do and really aren't worried about catching anything, just enjoying the weather. We had to enter in between the groups. We dove in just north of the three big rocks and dropped down to the 80'wall (71' today). Lots of small fish and a nice size cat today. We dove the entire 80' wall and then ascend to the trench and onward to the angel statue and the 40' ledge to a safety stop for the folks with smaller tanks. The rest then continued back downpast the 40' ledge to the top of the100' wall (83' max). Weird stuff- a red ear sunfish the size of my hand resting on the bottom at 83' - haven't seen one this deep before. Lots of small stuff. We continued along the wall and then headed upward to the big stump - lots of small fry. Returning south along the ledge, we found the end of the rope for the bouy that has broken off and is now ashore. I'll talk to the Corp folks about re-setting this bouy so that my map doesn't have to change. We finished our dive swimming south with a safety stop and exit. Nice day of Spring diving.

Nice! Glad to hear it warming up some.

Your dive was more enjoyable than mine last Thursday. Finally, obtained permission to dive the quarry in Macon. The water temp was a balmy 47degrees viz an astonishing 3't max depth we could fine was 32'. Richard and I entered the quarry from the West down the gravel path. We thought we'd do a little exploring (yeah right!). As soon as we submerged, we lost each other and had to surface. The rest of the dive (40min) we both towed the flag. I have heard there is at least 1 car in there somewhere. With 3ft viz would have to conduct a grid search to find it. I'm not complaining. It's water. It's close. It's free. I know what to expect next time.

Four of us dove today. 1:03 with max depth of 83'. Water temp of 53 degrees. Vis was down today given the gosh awful weather yesterday - high winds, tornados, supercells, bad hair day, etc. We had about 4-6' down to 75' then 8-10'. Lake is still down about 11'. We had divers with various tank sizes. There were many fishmen out today -gosh don't they know there are no fish 15' from shore here??? then again maybe they do and really aren't worried about catching anything, just enjoying the weather. We had to enter in between the groups. We dove in just north of the three big rocks and dropped down to the 80'wall (71' today). Lots of small fish and a nice size cat today. We dove the entire 80' wall and then ascend to the trench and onward to the angel statue and the 40' ledge to a safety stop for the folks with smaller tanks. The rest then continued back downpast the 40' ledge to the top of the100' wall (83' max). Weird stuff- a red ear sunfish the size of my hand resting on the bottom at 83' - haven't seen one this deep before. Lots of small stuff. We continued along the wall and then headed upward to the big stump - lots of small fry. Returning south along the ledge, we found the end of the rope for the bouy that has broken off and is now ashore. I'll talk to the Corp folks about re-setting this bouy so that my map doesn't have to change. We finished our dive swimming south with a safety stop and exit. Nice day of Spring diving.

Good day for diving, bad for equipment. More problems then we have seen for a while.
:monkeydan

Back
Top Bottom