Need advice on where to dive in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalko

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all:

I am coming to Florida next week and am looking for some advice on where to dive.

My hope was to get some ocean diving in, but it looks like conditions are going to be pretty rough, at least at the beginning of the week (was going to dive near Stuart, where I have family).

Anyway, I am staying in central Florida, north of Orlando. Since it looks as if ocean diving is out (too rough), I am thinking about fresh water springs. I dove at Ginnie Springs last year, so I want to try something different. I am not trained for cave diving, so I would like advice on springs for an open water diver.

I may have my daughter with me as well, so easier dives maxing out at about 45' would be great. She is 13 (but is a decent diver...very careful).

I was looking at Crystal Springs. Is this place good? How far is it from Lady Lake, FL?

Are there any other areas you would recommend? I'll have all my own gear except tanks.

If things calm down later in the week, any recommendations about west coast of Florida diving operations? Anyplace specific I should check out?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks;

John Walko

John,

Not sure where you got that forecast but the Jupiter/Palm Beach/Boynton Beach forecast is calling for a stellar Monday with seas 2' or less. While Jupiter has beautiful diving, it tends to be deeper and more advanced than what's common in Palm Beach (Riviera Beach) and Boynton Beach.

The chances of finding a Gulf trip running on a weekday are slim but not impossible. Also note the water temps in Gulf right now are about ten degrees cooler than the east coast.

COASTAL WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH, FL OUT 20 NM SUNDAY
NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS BECOMING NORTHEAST IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.
SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT SHOWERS.

SUNDAY NIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT SHOWERS.

MONDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

Alexander Springs is a nice site.
Ber :lilbunny:

John,

Not sure where you got that forecast but the Jupiter/Palm Beach/Boynton Beach forecast is calling for a stellar Monday with seas 2' or less. While Jupiter has beautiful diving, it tends to be deeper and more advanced than what's common in Palm Beach (Riviera Beach) and Boynton Beach.

The chances of finding a Gulf trip running on a weekday are slim but not impossible. Also note the water temps in Gulf right now are about ten degrees cooler than the east coast.

COASTAL WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH, FL OUT 20 NM SUNDAY
NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS BECOMING NORTHEAST IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.
SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT SHOWERS.

SUNDAY NIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT SHOWERS.

MONDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET IN THE GULF STREAM. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

Brian:

Thanks for the update. We were supposed to dive out of the Stuart inlet (on my brother's boat). I checked the NOAA forecast this morning and they were calling (at that time) for 3-5' seas...divable, but rough. I hope it does calm down, because I've been looking forward to this for several weeks. We'll just have to see what it does.

We dove out of Lauderdale last year and had a great time...70-80' with about 30-4' vis. I was hoping to get about the same this year. Maybe we'll call some dive ops instead of going out of Stuart.

John

Alexander Springs is a nice site.

Ber:

I need to meet up with you some time at Gilboa...I planned on coming up the last two years, but somehow life took over (amazing how that happens).

How big is Alexander? We dove Ginnie last year and while it was neat, we got board quickly...I think we were done diving afer 1/2 tank of air. I'll check it out.

Thanks;

John

Brian:

Thanks for the update.

John

John,

Here's what I watch: NDBC - NWS Forecast
Before I leave the house, I like to look at a webcam on the beach nearest to where I'm headed, These three should be helpful if you head to Jupiter, Palm Beach, or Boynton.
Jupiter Inlet District
Lake Worth Inlet
Boynton Inlet

Stuart should be very similar to what you see on the Jupitercam.

I wish you luck getting out, the forecast is changing with every update. Tuesday's 'cast is released and they're calling for small mountains.... :(

Ber:

I need to meet up with you some time at Gilboa...I planned on coming up the last two years, but somehow life took over (amazing how that happens).

How big is Alexander? We dove Ginnie last year and while it was neat, we got board quickly...I think we were done diving afer 1/2 tank of air. I'll check it out.

Thanks;

John

You should get to the Meet n Greet if you get a chance April 25-27, looks like a regular party is forming!

Alexander has a lot more to look at than Ginnie does but most of it is really and I mean really shallow. We saw turtles, gigantic Tilapia, a couple alligators, probably hundreds of Plecostamus plus a myriad of other fish. There's a bunch of lilypads, etc that you can peek under and see all kinds of critters. We generally get two dives out of a tank because it's so shallow, we spend the time playing in the deep part of the spring then head to the lilypad fields to see what's hiding.

Hey all:

I am coming to Florida next week and am looking for some advice on where to dive.
Anyway, I am staying in central Florida, north of Orlando. Since it looks as if ocean diving is out (too rough), I am thinking about fresh water springs.
I may have my daughter with me as well, so easier dives maxing out at about 45' would be great. She is 13 (but is a decent diver...very careful).
are there any other areas you would recommend? I'll have all my own gear except tanks.

John, I live in Central Fl area and based on your post, I'd recommend...
Alexander (max 24, lots of wild life)easy entry and exit, but have to carry your gear a ways from the parking lot to a picnic table;
Blue Springs in Orange City max ow = 60, lots of wildlife and a really cool drift dive, easy entry and exit, but a bit of a walk in gear(check out the thread in this forum); Paradise Springs in Ocala, the warmest spring I've been in, OW dive able with platforms, dive line, and lots and lots of fossils, also easy entry and exit:
then about 2 hours from where you will be staying is Devil's Den and Blue Grotto. Both dive sites I think your daughter will enjoy. I have dove (dived-ed:rofl3:) all of these and every one has things I like above the others. Each site is unique.
exactly what days are you planing on being here?

John,

I have dove blue grotto and devils den many times... you will enjoy as FOX said above...

recently dove Paradise Springs.... really enjoyed it... think it tops both above....neat pre-historic fossils to see. $30/day dive as much as you want.... better hurry... owner was offered a couple million for it by bottled water company... probably wont be able to dive much longer.

Another recommendation for Alexander. It's a nice place for a couple of dives. The aquatic life will keep you entertained. Bring your tanks with you, no dive shop near there.

Definitely head to Crystal River. Do a snorkel with the manatees. It's an experience of a lifetime. Then head over to Rainbow River for an afternoon drift dive. Great visibility, lots of fun.

Everything else in the area is pretty much blown out right now due to recent rains. The only other option is in the panhandle, but that would be quite a drive for you from the Orlando area.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom