More on Sarasota diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all you FL divers! I might be heading down to Sarasota (all the way from NorCal) on business in the next month, and wanted to see what that other big body of water offers.

I've done my cursory search and it seems ScubaQuest is a good local outfit (and that there is indeed some good diving in the area). I was just wondering if any local divers could shed a little light on what's good and what to expect for a typical recreational diver just looking to get wet. Is it mostly boat diving? Is there a typical schedule (e.g., 2 tanks, leave early morning, return late afternoon), do you have to make advance reservations for April (and is April generally a good time to dive)?

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. I'd probably have a weekend, and perhaps one or two night dive opportunities if things work out.

Thanks!

I might get bashed for this but i did my open water cert with scuba quest, great outfit, but there are really no charters on this coast (Ft Myers,Sarasota) that go out far enough for good vis. Find some with a boat would be your best bet for really good off shore diving.

My last couple of months diving have been ~10-20ft viz, so I'm not expecting Molokini, just some new sights :) What's the typical water temperature in the gulf around this month?

I'm sure they can do that for you, they are a good company. the water temp Sunday was around 71 and only dropped 2-3 at 65 ft.

Scuba Quest down there is pretty good. I have been out their boat several times. Your best bet is to call the shop and get their schedule. They generally supply tanks (air not nitrox nitrox will cost you extra but they do have nitrox tanks available) and they have a nice couple of boats. My recommendation would be to try to get on THE WRECK TREK or THE 3D DIVE. They are both three tanks dives and they go out about 15 to 20 miles for those so you get to hit some really good wrecks. The 3D is one dive during the day and one and dusk and your last one in the dark. I have done both these trips and I prefered the Wreck Trek but they are both fantastic trips. Hope this helps.

Scuba Quest down there is pretty good. I have been out their boat several times. Your best bet is to call the shop and get their schedule. They generally supply tanks (air not nitrox nitrox will cost you extra but they do have nitrox tanks available) and they have a nice couple of boats. My recommendation would be to try to get on THE WRECK TREK or THE 3D DIVE. They are both three tanks dives and they go out about 15 to 20 miles for those so you get to hit some really good wrecks. The 3D is one dive during the day and one and dusk and your last one in the dark. I have done both these trips and I prefered the Wreck Trek but they are both fantastic trips. Hope this helps.

Great info...I think I will have to check these out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom