Picked up a new book tonight...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was just walking through Barnes and Noble and decided to breeze through the sports section to see if they had any diving books I hadn't read. Lo and behold, there was a brand new one (published in 2003) called "Fatal Depth" by Joe Haberstroh. According to the jacket, it is about "Deep Sea Diving, China Fever, and the Wreck of the Andrea Doria". A quick glance looks like it is primarily concerned with the tragic 98 and 99 dive seasons.

I doubt it will be as good as Deep Descent, but I will let you know once I finish it...

Thanks Eric... I'm always in search of new books. Got a whole lineup already, so I got time to have you let us know how it is before I buy.

Oh... ISBN 1585744573

I'm more of a amazon.com fan [long story]; but Fatal Depth

I just saw that book in Barnes and Noble last night. I read the jacket cover and flipped through the book and decided that it would just be a rehash of Deep Descent, which I have read twice, so I bought the only copy they had of The Last Dive instead. I've read that once, but it was a borrowed copy and I've been looking to buy my own and reread it. I also saw a compilation of stories about diving that had stories by Jacques Cousteau, Peter Benchley and others. I can't remember the name of that one. Anybody know that book? Have you read it? Is it any good? :question:

Be curious about your review of Fatal Depth, O-ring. :yea:

ibnygator once bubbled...
I just saw that book in Barnes and Noble last night. I read the jacket cover and flipped through the book and decided that it would just be a rehash of Deep Descent, which I have read twice, so I bought the only copy they had of The Last Dive instead. I've read that once, but it was a borrowed copy and I've been looking to buy my own and reread it. I also saw a compilation of stories about diving that had stories by Jacques Cousteau, Peter Benchley and others. I can't remember the name of that one. Anybody know that book? Have you read it? Is it any good? :question:

Be curious about your review of Fatal Depth, O-ring. :yea:
The Last Dive is definitely worth a re-read. I am on chapter 2 and will post when I get done...I think there might be some new tidbits, but I could definitely do without reading another chapter on the sinking of the Doria...man, how many books have I read this same story in??? *sigh* Doria...fog...Capt. Calimari (hehe)...Stockholm..blah blah...Mt. Everest of diving...

I think that the families of the divers that have died on the Doria ought to be getting book royalties for all of the money that other people have made off of their deaths.

But for those who just can't get enough of the story of the Doria, read "Saved!". It's not about diving, but all about the life and death of the Andrea Doria.

:boom:

I knew about the book when it was first released. You can register with Amazon, and put in any word that you want them to send you notices on.
I put in "Scuba" so any book that is about Scuba that is written, makes them send me an email.
I didn't order the book, because I've read enough about the Doria too.
Also, I'd rather talk to people like Joel, and hear about his dives first hand.

Also, I'd rather talk to people like Joel, and hear about his dives first hand.

Yep, that's the one.

Its important to learn about the stories of lost divers. For one thing, if we can learn from their mistakes we clearly benefit. Its also important to remember just for the sake of remembering. I lost a friend, Matt Lawrence, on the Doria. The telling of his story keeps his memory alive. I'll admit though, its hard to read, particularly when his death was so clearly his own fault and preventable.

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom