Where to get certified in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dorset47

Registered
Reaction score
I am a certified diver in Pittsburgh and have a friend who wants to join in the fun. He is one of those people with a hectic schedule so he would like to do the class work, confined water and open water check outs in one fell swoop. He's a pilot and has already studied the PADI materials so he is thinking it should be possible to go from start to C-card in three days. I plan to come along and get some warm water diving in, too.
Rather than do it here in Pittsburgh and do the open water in a cold quarry, we are talking about coming down to the Keys. I have recommended that he do the class work etc.. here and do a referral, but he wants to do all of it at once..
Any recommendations as to where he should go??

Most places do the 3 day thing, he may have a better time to do the padi e-learning that way all he has to worry about is the pool and OW stuff.

You can take the classes in Pittsburg and have the instructor do a refferal to any PADI Instructor in the keys. Not to bash the 3 day thing but, if your friend is a pilot he will understand the value of proper training.

Not sure where you are ending up, but my only experience with any instruction down there is with Capt. Hooks in Marathon. I took a wreck course down there last year, and they were great!

Captain Hook’s Diving and Fishing in the Florida Keys

When I talked to one of their guys at BTS last month he said that they even added some more instructors and DM's since that part of their business was getting better.

While there are lots of great options and great operators in the Keys. For OW training I would call Brett at Blue Water Divers in Key Largo.

He is professional, but fun guy and has been around the area quite awhile (and is not just passing through).

My other choice would be to call Brenda or Gary at Conch Republic and they will set you up nicely as well.

Key Largo, I would have to say Atlantis Dive Center. I'm from up north and am a transplant from Europe. They were so patient with me and my english, which is getting better! I am very happy with them. This is my first post. Hello to all divers.

Unless there is a specific piece of water your friend wants to do his certification dives in, why limit your search to the Keys? Don't take that the wrong way - there is absolutely nothing wrong with earning a c-card in the Keys. I dive the Keys every year. Your friend appears to have a time limitation, so you should also think about flying into Ft Lauderdale or Miami and doing the diving right there and not spend the extra 2 hours down and back to the Keys. Heck, any place in southern Florida is going to give you warm water right now. Just trying to expand your options.

ROTFLMAO.
Take the extra couple of hours its more than worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom