Hole In the Wall with the Jupiter Dive Center 05/02/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
Hole In the Wall, With Jupiter Dive Center 02/May/2008

East wind the previous night.

Check in at the Jupiter Dive Center - Gerry Carroll and Kyle

Captain Mike, Divemaster Les, Deckhand Seashell (Heather)

Dive 1 – Hole In the Wall, unusual conditions - visibility 60 to 80 feet with zero current. Saw 4 bull sharks (Carcharhinus leucas), one cobia with a bull, a school of bonita and a few amberjacks. It was a gorgeous dive in the Sapphire Sea.

Dive 2 – Area 51, 60 to 70 foot, no current, two jewfish (125 and 250 lbs.), two loggerhead sea turtles.

Dive 3 – Tunnels, 60 to 70 foot, no current, three Caribbean reef sharks (Carcharhinus perezi), one jewfish, one southern stingray, amberjacks, two very large loggerheads one of each gender.

Spring is here solid and, things are picking up.

Jeff Trotta

Hole In the Wall, With Jupiter Dive Center 02/May/2008

East wind the previous night.

Check in at the Jupiter Dive Center - Gerry Carroll and Kyle

Captain Mike, Divemaster Les, Deckhand Seashell (Heather)

Dive 1 – Hole In the Wall, unusual conditions - visibility 60 to 80 feet with zero current. Saw 4 bull sharks (Carcharhinus leucas), one cobia with a bull, a school of bonita and a few amberjacks. It was a gorgeous dive in the Sapphire Sea.

Dive 2 – Area 51, 60 to 70 foot, no current, two jewfish (125 and 250 lbs.), two loggerhead sea turtles.

Dive 3 – Tunnels, 60 to 70 foot, no current, three Caribbean reef sharks (Carcharhinus perezi), one jewfish, one southern stingray, amberjacks, two very large loggerheads one of each gender.

Spring is here solid and, things are picking up.

Jeff Trotta
My 3 favorite sites in Jupiter (add Cap't Mikes, which runs into Area 51)

Jeff, that was me sitting next to you on the Republic IV! Great to dive with someone who knows fish better than anyone else! You are the premier expert when it comes to identifying fish types in Jupiter rather than spearo's like me saying " It's a Snapper "

Beside no current and we had to swim for everything, it's was a great visibility day, even the Tunnels at 60+ feet.

Us spearo's let you guys down, & didn't shoot nothing, but how about that bullshark on the Hole, that tried to bump Eve till Chuckitall made his presence known and backed it down.

The Tunnels was great with Sharks everywhere and the viz was blue, blue, blue.

Always a pleasure diving in Jupiter and Jeff, hopefully can dive with you again!!

we dove the ledge, not far from the hole with rj on the emerald on friday. man what a beautiful dive. as soon as we hit the water at least 8 bulls came to meet us, and stayed
with us until we hit the ledge. then on the ledge the bulls with cobia came by.. as soon as i figure out how to put my video on utube i'll post the dive. :blinking:

Were is this at?
These sites are located south of Jupiter, just south of Juno Beach - from Jupiter Dive Center, admittedly on their fairly slow boat, its +/- 45 min's to the Hole in the Wall as well as Area 51 -

Tunnels is closer to the Jupiter Inlet and is typically done as the 2nd or last dive as its on the way back.

Were is this at?

These dives are taking place in the vicinity of Jupiter, Florida, which is north of the town of Palm Beach. Palm Beach County from Boca Raton to the Martin county line has some of the finest diving in the United States and, on a good day it is absolutely world class.

Palm Beach County's diving conditions are frequently trying and, substantial. The swift current, widely variable visibility, and big animals mixed with deep water make it both difficult and worthwhile. Those same demanding parameters have also work hardened and forged an inordinate number of extremely competent and renowned divers, including Norine Rouse, Jim Abernethy, Gary Adkison, Douglas David Seifert and, Connie Gasque to name just a few of the alumni.

While it would difficult to pin down the exact starting dates of techniques like drift diving and, floats to track divers, the use of low volume masks and, skin diving fins with scuba, the popularization of dive computers, recreational nitrox, independent diving, dead neutral buoyancy, and gear minimization/simplification, I can say with little doubt, all of these things, showed up in Palm Beach early. If it worked, it stuck. If it was a marketing lie or useless idea brought in from the outside it was quickly junked. This evolution continues today and, is under constant revision and, refinement.

May is my favorite month to dive Palm Beach County. Right now the loggerheads are nesting, the spring fish migrations are on, and the big sharks are showing up.

Now is the time year for big animals and blue water,

Jeff Trotta

we dove the ledge, not far from the hole with rj on the emerald on friday. man what a beautiful dive. as soon as we hit the water at least 8 bulls came to meet us, and stayed
with us until we hit the ledge. then on the ledge the bulls with cobia came by.. as soon as i figure out how to put my video on utube i'll post the dive. :blinking:

Please post your video on YouTube!

I noticed in your profile that you are planning a trip to Cocos. I am very fond of that island. If you would like to read a story I wrote about my last trip there go to:

Scuba Diving Cocos Island Malpelo Liveaboard Cruises Costa Rica
then "click here to enter"
then on the left side click Trip and Guest Reports
then on the top right click Articles
then open " Keep peering at the edge of visibilty;"

Isla del Coco is magnificant, you won't be dissappointed.

Please post your video on YouTube!

I noticed in your profile that you are planning a trip to Cocos. I am very fond of that island. If you would like to read a story I wrote about my last trip there go to:

Scuba Diving Cocos Island Malpelo Liveaboard Cruises Costa Rica
then "click here to enter"
then on the left side click Trip and Guest Reports
then on the top right click Articles
then open " Keep peering at the edge of visibilty;"

Isla del Coco is magnificant, you won't be dissappointed.

great article, i so can't wait til aug for cocos, i'll be on the sea hunter also, until then i'll practice on local sharks. i'll try ytube again

char

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom