Working in Oahu...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JiveMaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all,

I've recently been offered a position working with one of the dive ops in Oahu. It will entail guiding, teaching, and getting a technical program off the ground.

I'm looking for ANY feedback on: What the diving is REALLY like in Oahu (compared to other destinations you may have been diving, other than Hawaii), Working conditions in the dive industry there, and what living in Oahu, Hawaii is really like.

I've never been, but am seriously considering taking this position as it seems like there might be some great potential.

SO, really looking forward to feedback!

Thanks!

Jive

I think a good idea is to check around on craigslist, or the Honolulu Advertiser or Star Bulletin sites to get a feel for housing. Depending on where the shop is, you probably want to live somewhere close. Traffic can be a bummer here.

Otherwise, the sky is the limit for Tech diving. Lots of deep stuff and wrecks, though I think you may find our underwater hues more muted than what your are used to...

G

I am still trying to figure out how full time instructors make a living in Hawaii, it's expensive...and you don't get paid much. Oftentimes you will be doing DSD...even if you are a Technical Instructor that has been teaching Tech Diving for umpty years. I am not trying to paint a grim picture..but when I look at instructor's cars outside the dive shops and see a mercedes from 1957 parked next to a truck that is missing its tailgate and is running on 2 cylinders...it sort of paints the picture for me.

Yes there is lots of deep stuff, now you just need to steal the coordinates. Breaking into Fort Knox is probably easier though...Otherwise that sand dive is pretty sweet at 200'....

never heard the joke Sherm?

What happens to a dive instructor when he breaks up with his girlfriend?

He becomes Homeless....

That pretty much sums it up...

nope have't heard that one before...:) Funny thing is we were just talking about this yesterday and were wondering if Gabe is independently wealthy as he keeps talking about investing in the stock market....:) (well...Gabe?)

Sherm

He becomes Homeless....

That pretty much sums it up...

So this seems to be quite common for hardworking full-time instructors?!? They seem to be painting the picture that I'll be able to live somewhat comfortably... I don't need alot, really just to be able to survive HAPPILY...which is why I gave up corporate marketing in the first place!

It all depends at what standard you are willing to live at.

A studio will cost you anywhere from around 900 up. You might find something cheaper, but you will most likely have to commute so gas and time loss will eat your savings. You could have roomies though. Electricity for a studio, not using AC, will run you about 120 or so bucks a month. Phone/internet/cable, I'm paying 115 right now. You might have to pay for water too. Then you have to pay for a parking spot...that can be 50 or more...Then you might want to eat....or have a car....or have other needs...OH, and I"d make sure that health insurance is also part of the deal...not all dive ops really offer that for their staff.

the other joke is What is the difference between an instructor and a pizza?

A pizza can feed a family of 4....

Both quality jokes....

To give you a breakdown of my monthly expenses

Rent: $650
Utils: $100
Gas: $100 to $150
Food/Bev: $200 to $300

We rarely go out to eat, try to live a simple life and use the ample rainfall in Manoa to cultivate our garden. Sam's Club and Costco rule!

Anything else I have left over at the end of the month goes to investing, BBQs or replacing gear (currently have spliced two BCD's together to form one Frankenstein BCD for me) otherwise, all my rental gear is brand new!

Also, I have switched to Soy milk..... way better than $8/gallon moo juice.

G

$8 for milk? Last I saw at Sam's it was around 5 bucks....

Back
Top Bottom