Gulf Shores Pier?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the link Gary.

Hetland, the old pier is divable and can be fun with a max depth of 12-13'. Lots of fish, including the shootable variaty. Closest public parking is across the Beach Highway at the entrance to Gulf State Park.

Let me ask a few dumb questions. I'm trying to find this on Google maps but I see no damaged pier, maybe their maps are old and I'm seeing the old one before it was destroyed?
Google Maps

Saw an earlier trip report where you were met by park rangers and warned not to trespass. How can you be trespassing if it's a state park and you followed a road? And if you're trespassing in a car, aren't you equally trespassing on foot?

Since there is a state law against diving the Gulf Shores pier, I'm guessing they aren't enforcing it since it's not much use for fishing now?

Let me ask a few dumb questions. I'm trying to find this on Google maps but I see no damaged pier, maybe their maps are old and I'm seeing the old one before it was destroyed?
Google Maps

I'm not a local expert, so this might be right, but that peir was damaged in Ivan and is closed. that's an old pic. I think most of the buildings near it in the park were substantially damaged also and the park lodge was rebuild (or is being rebuilt).

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the link Gary.

Hetland, the old pier is divable and can be fun with a max depth of 12-13'. Lots of fish, including the shootable variaty. Closest public parking is across the Beach Highway at the entrance to Gulf State Park.

Mat,
Do you think some good or medium sized flounder might be there the first week of June? Not going to do the rodeo, just going to get something tasty!
Howard

Since there is a state law against diving the Gulf Shores pier, I'm guessing they aren't enforcing it since it's not much use for fishing now?

I'm not a local expert, so this might be right, but that peir was damaged in Ivan and is closed. that's an old pic. I think most of the buildings near it in the park were substantially damaged also and the park lodge was rebuild (or is being rebuilt).

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There is NO law that says you cant dive next to a pier in Al.
It was damaged by Ivan and a New one is being built beside the old one.
The buildings have been knocked down and cleaned up but no new ones are being built as of now.
The link I posted shows good detail of what's going on.

The new pier will be about 500' longer than the old one and is under construction as of now.

The link I posted shows good detail of what's going on.

Great link. It wasn't working last night for me, kept giving an "unauthorized" error.

If they expect up to 5000 people per day to visit the new pier, where are *they* gonna park? I assume there will be a big new parking lot built. Do you think divers will be able to park there and dive the new pier (and the old pier as long as it's there)?

There is NO law that says you cant dive next to a pier in Al.
It was damaged by Ivan and a New one is being built beside the old one.
The buildings have been knocked down and cleaned up but no new ones are being built as of now.

hmmm.... You are right that there is no law that says you can't dive next to a pier (all piers), Typically there is nothing they can do to you because of Riparian Rights.

But there is a law against diving next to the Gulf State Park Pier. ( I don't make the laws... I just referenced it...)

From http://www.alabamaadministrativecode.state.al.us/docs/con_/tWrd5CON.pdf

ALABAMA DEPARTMENT OF CONSERVATION AND NATURAL RESOURCES

ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
CHAPTER 220-5 STATE PARKS DIVISION

Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, §§9-2-3, 9-2-9, 9-2-12.
PENALTY: As provided by Section 9-2-9, Code of Ala. 1975

220-5-.02 Swimming, Fishing And Boating
(g) It shall be unlawful to participate in any water related activity within 100 yards of the Gulf State Park Saltwater Fishing Pier. This shall include but not be limited to, wading, swimming, surfing, fishing, boating, and scuba diving.

Ironically it's also against the law to fish for sharks off that pier, or the beach around it. (or to at least 'land a shark' if caught. I guess you can cut it loose).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom