Is the town Pier closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaz29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Our LDS expert said that a boat dive from the town pier is great as it is mostly a scrap yard where things come out at night. Any updates on if its open or worth it?

The Town Pier has been closed for many years (20?) as an open dive site. It was indeed a great night dive.
The STINAPA website says:
1702773127398.png

So, even though it may be possible to dive there, I have not heard of ANY diving there for many years.

Off limits as far as I know, I did get to do the cruise ship pier as volunteer clean up dive. Nothing to write home about, lots of trash and tarpon.

As I recall it, the town pier was a night dive from the beach right next to the pier, right ?

As I recall it, the town pier was a night dive from the beach right next to the pier, right ?
Yes, it was. Back in the day (like 30yrs ago) I believe you had to have a local guide.

I last did the town pier about 25 years ago with a local guide as a night dive. The life on the pillars was amazing. About half way through the planned dive there was a loud noise of propellers and the guide ushered us out of the water immediately. One of the tugs at the dock apparently had to make an unplanned run.

That experience cured me of any desire to go back.

Anyone remember the live electrical cable that you had to hop over while entering and exiting? That was exciting…

First place I ever saw a seahorse.

First frog fish for me.

We've done a few night dives along Kaya Grandi, under the sailboats. Not pier-pilings level, but a lot of good things to see. There are a few sets of concrete steps going down to the water, and then easy in and out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom