Anyone still dive with a Suunto Favor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparhawk13401

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just bought a set of used regs and a Favor was in the console. I'll be running it out to my LDS for a full workover - but in the meantime - I was wondering if anyone was still diving with one.

What kind of life did people find they were getting out of these?

Dive computers can last a long time. I think some friends of mine have Favors, or maybe the Companion which is similar, from like 15 years ago. They're getting new ones only because they want Nitrox support. And also because replacing the battery in these old Suuntos is a pain ("officially" they're not user replaceable and sending them to get done can be pricey.)

I'd say if it currently has a good battery and the computer works, there's no reason to do any sort of "workover" on the computer itself. If it needs a new battery and your shop can actually do it, that's good too. Otherwise, you've got a choice between getting a battery kit someplace like eBay and take a crack at it yourself - search the web for instructions - or sending it away to get done for a bunch more $ that may not seem worth it compared to the cost of a new air computer.

I swtiched to a suunto Vyper 2 from a favor about three months ago. My ex-wife still dives the favor.

It's a great air computer. The only reason I switched was to get nitrox data. And I picked the Vyper 2 because it was similar to the Favor.

With an average of 20 dives a year (sometimes more sometimes less), We got about five years on each battery.

I actually think a non-user changable battery is a good idea. It forces you to get the pressure calibration done occassionally.

Awesome news.

I was told the battery was switched out within the year - so if it'll give me another couple of years, chances are I'll be upgrading to a unit that can do Nitrox before I'll have to even worry about the battery.

My g/f still dives her old Favor when she is not diving nitrox. It has been a very reliable computer, and is slightly less conservative than our Gekkos. The battery is a 1/2 height AA lithium, which is readily available. I have changed her battery, and while it is not simple, is not too bad, but replacing the cover can be tricky. You should be able to google instructions if necessary.

I swtiched to a suunto Vyper 2 from a favor about three months ago. My ex-wife still dives the favor.

Does the Vyper fit in the same console as the Favor?

The Favor and Eon were two of the best air computers ever made . User changer battery is easy and fool proof . If Nitrox is not in the plan they are great computers . I use an Eon that is over ten years old , still works perfect , while others flood the eon keeps on tickin. I guess I just have a love affair with my gear!

I purchased a Suunto EON brand new back in 1998 or 1999 and have had literally thousands of dives on it and it has worked absolutely flawlessly... I change out the battery every year or so (depending on how much I dive).

Honestly, I can't imagine ever replacing this thing... It has been the only console mounted dive computer I've ever owned (I have two Suunto wrist computers that I use (Spyder and D9) for redundancy but the EON has been my faithful computer since my first non training dive.

Joe

Such sad news.... :(
I was diving with my Suunto Favor last weekend after replacing the battery and it seems I installed the o-ring improperly; the battery compartment flooded! I got down to around 70 feet and the depth reading suddenly shot to 17 feet! The numbers continued to display but it was clear something screwy had gone on within the system.

When I got home I pulled the flooded battery out and let it all dry out. I figured it might still have life left in the computer. I was right, sort of! The only thing that is wrong is the battery contact broke off when I removed the battery. I jammed some metal in with a new battery and the computer shot back to life!

Right now I'm debating trying my hand at soldering a new contact in to test the computer with another dive or just buying a "new" Favor on ebay.

I really hate to retire my trusty Favor after that flooded battery, but the time may have come.
Does anyone know when the first Favor came out? Gosh, it has to be nearing 15 years old, at least!

-Andy

Back
Top Bottom