trip cancelled due to head cold...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the sharkman

Contributor
Reaction score
The night before a short trip to Monterey we had to cancel due to my wife and I both getting a head cold days prioir to the trip. Unfortunately diving is not one of the sports you can still do while sick. I am sure many of you have had to cancel a dive or two due to getting a cold or flu, so you feel my pain...

sharkman
:guitar:

I've had to cancel dives due to allergies, but thats close enough to understand what you're going through.

get well soon and get wet soon too:D =-) :D

First she throws a disk in her back, recovers all is well...then she gets bronchitis so bad that she doesn't sleep for four nights from all the coughing. Currently she's on antibiotics and should be good to go by the weekend...I sincerely hope

Dove with a head cold and broke a bone in my sinus trying to equalize. Don't do it!

Broke a BONE? wow... As I understand it, that's not supposed to happen. Usualy, the sinus passage will simply fill with blood before a pressure imballance can get bad enough to break bone.

Worst I've done is some painfull squeezing behind the left eyebrow trying to decend (stopped diving after that on that trip) and a reverse squeeze on the second 15 foot dive of the day when I THOUGHT I was completely over a cold...

Couldn't come up shallower than 5 feet without significant pain for a while as I let it slowly equalize...

Again, the left eye, but this time it was the sinus passages all the way around the eye. Thick mucus blocked the connection back into the nasal cavity preventing the pressure release.

Felt like I had a black eye when I woke up the next day and was blowing junk out of my nose for another two weeks because of it.
Ever since I broke my nose when I was a kid, the left side always clogs up first...

I figured I would see how it went today and told my buddy that if I had any trouble equalizing I would abort the dive... he said he had a head cold too... and would do the same.

134' max depth for 51 minutes with a profile of 48'
Giant pacific octopus under a sunken boat at 134.

No problem clearing... and it was sooooo good to get back into the water... I was starting to get... well... less than purdy.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

No problem clearing... and it was sooooo good to get back into the water... I was starting to get... well... less than purdy.

good to hear that you are staying wet though, I'd hate to see you "less than purdy"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom