Training Question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pentiumchic

Reaction score
I was sitting here reading some old posts about "Who you would dive with".A lot of people stated they wouldn't dive with anyone without diver rescue training.I got to thinking what do you consider "training".Here's my standing.My husband is going through padi training all the way to Dive Master.His instructor humors me a lot and lets me go to his classes with him and I read all the books he brings home.But I unlike hubby am not paying for the certs/cards.Would you still consider that I was still getting said training even though I'm not getting the certs?

Jen

You may be better trained than others with the cards, but if someone is looking for a buddy with specific qualifications - you don't have them. I'll dive with anybody. Wanna go diving?

1. If you haven't had to perform the requirements of the certification, you can't consider yourself certified, even if you've sat through all the sessions.

2. The idea that someone has to be at least "Rescue" certified to be a dive buddy is, IMHO, a bunch of elitist tripe.

Now, stand back and watch the fireworks!!

DSAO

hoover once bubbled...

2. The idea that someone has to be at least "Rescue" certified to be a dive buddy is, IMHO, a bunch of elitist tripe.

I agree...I'll dive with just about anyone once...pending my experience I more than likely will dive with them again....unless that guy/gal gives me some reason not to.

I think that training and certification is a good first step, but unless you practice the skills that you learned, much may be forgotten over time.

Have you practiced the skills you learned from the class? How did you do?

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

I agree...I'll dive with just about anyone once...pending my experience I more than likely will dive with them again....unless that guy/gal gives me some reason not to.

I agree with Big T, however, a well trained and practiced buddy is probably someone who you want to hang on to in case there is an emergency. :D =-) :D

You will not be officialy certified.

Some people will hold that against you.

I will dive with anybody OW certified or above once. Have only dived with two people so far I will refuse to dive with again.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
... then when you want the card pay for it.

Put Another Dollar In...leave it to their poster-boy to come up with that response

pentiumchic,

I have made a statement like that. I don't remember which thread but I remember the qualifications. Let me state a couple of abservations first.

Most divers with little training don't seem very well prepared as far as skill and knowledge. Many get an OW card as a pass on to the vacation boats they usually dive on. That's ok but they, IMO, are only prepared to dive under some level of supervision.

If a diver needs to be supervised and they don't care enough about ME to get a little extra training and practice a few skills, why would I dive with them? Of course, I'm not refering to a new diver who hasen't had time to complete that level of training but there are many who are content to remain ignorant. If I dive with those folks I am working. In this country it's customary to get paid when you work.

I know a middle aged overweight couple who got certified. They dive on vacation and locally once or twice a year. They still don't dive very well. Everytime I see them they ask the same questions. For a long time they repeatedly invited me out night diving. They said they were ready to try it. They were clear about not wanting a class but they wanted to do their first night dive with me. If one of them ever has a problem all the other will be able to do is SCREAM. Sorry, I don't want to be there.

I didn't create our current training system but as it is until a diver progresses to a certain level (maybe rescue) and then only if they had some good instructors they need to be led on tours and taken care of.

Will you answer th following questions?
Do you care enough about the people you dive with to get some first aid training? Do you care enough about your buddy to learn O2 administration? Can you quickly and efficiently organize and conduct a search for you missing buddy? Are you able to asses others qualifications to assist you and assign them appropriate tasks? Can you get your unconciouse buddy to the surface without hurting them more or hurting yourself? Can you transport your buddy in the water while protecting their airway and preparing them for egress? Can you get you disabled buddy out of the water while providing rescue breaths? If your buddy is missing can you manage the scene to give them the best chance they can get? I know many divers who just don't care or assume someone else will do it.

I can do these things and practice the skills regularly. I am only asking those I dive with to give me the same chance I have given them. Is it too much to ask? Is it wort a few dollars? A little effort?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom